PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Hi guys. I thought it might be instructive to post my experience with prostate cancer. Mine was discovered very early by my GP because of my family history. This was in 2009. I chose the radical prostatectomy so I could be sure I wouldn’t repeat my fathers experience. Not a pleasant memory.
Since then there are many more less invasive procedure available. Needless fear and needless avoidance won’t help
I have no incontinence.
I have full sexual function(frequent ejaculation actual strengthens the muscles down there), but, damn it, my dick is about an inch shorter due to the removal of that much urethra that went through the prostate!
I don’t even own one of those doughnut pillows!
I ask any of you guys that have dealt with prostate cancer to put your pride(perhaps) aside and share with your pipe brethren.
Thanks so much,
Ross

Everyone should get their Prostate serum levels checked so that your doctor can use the data as a baseline. It's a simple test done at the blood lab along with all the other blood tests. Make sure your doctor tells you the number so YOU can keep an eye on it and If you change doctors, be sure to bring this history with you.

There's a saying that if you make it to 90, you will either die FROM or WITH Prostate cancer. so listen to Ed and keep up on this one thing....

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Got it in 98, shot at a goose high in the sky with a 10 gauge, felt pain in testicles, Got a biopsy PSA was 54. Went to MD Anderson in Houston, Dr said make out your will. Dr said we gonna hit you with everything. Got 40 Radiation hits. They made a grill down there looked like Microsoft emblem with different colors. it Was a pattern as to where X Ray would hit. In the middle of this, was cautioned not to get rid of pattern, went to my camp and told the fellows ( after some beers) I’m a human compter, dropped my pants, this is my computer, went down further this is my mouse. Well it was a hit, jumped in trucks and made the round of camps showing the computer man. Drunk and back at my camp, showered and there went the grill.well Monday XRay crew was not happy, backed them up 1.5 hrs shooting the grill again. Never made the boss lady happy after that, even bringing lots of bakery goods. 2021 I’ll still here. That’s my story I Garronte!

Last edited by a moderator:

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Prostate cancer kind of runs in my family. It's very important to get the PSA test regularly if you are a male over a certain age and/or it runs in the family. My PSA level started climbing dramatically. They did a biopsy and found nothing. The Dr then had me get a MRI to make sure. There was the tumor, in an unusual place. Had the surgery 2 years ago and so far so good.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Just to clear, I’ve been shot, exploded out of a control house at a Exxon plant, almost burned up in a massive fire, and the most scared I’ve ever been was when I had to take an MRI to see if cancer had gone in the bone, young man wheeled me out, I asked him is it in the bone, he said I can’t tell you, I told him just shake your head Yes orNo, he shook his head no, I cried!

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
First of congrats on overcoming it. I lost my father to agent orange after he battled multiple different cancers for years. He always said if they could cut it out fine but no treatments as he saw his father die of lung cancer and brothers to pancreatic and spinal cancer. My father knew he was bad along time before he told the rest of my family and this info was kept between him and I. I respected his wishes. As for myself I know that someday something will take me but I can not say if I will or will not take treatments if my children are grown and gone I will probably not but I will never say never

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
My PSAs were in an acceptable range ... but the “velocity” (increase in a short period of time) was a red flag to my primary physician. I had a biopsy and it turned out that I had moderately aggressive, intermediate stage cancer. So, I did my homework, consulted with men who had different treatments, spoke with an oncologist at Dana Farber in Boston, and decided on the surgery, which I had at Brigham and Woman’s, also in Boston. I’m alive. I’m happy. I do miss my prostate, but I have no regrets. My advice: get lots of input, do a lot of research, find the best oncologist you can, and make the decision that will increase the likelihood of the outcome you most prefer.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I went through Proton Therapy (a type of radiation) last year at MD Anderson - 40 zaps over 8 weeks. I was a little young for prostate cancer at 57. We found it early through PSA screenings at mostly-annual checkups.

Two points to share: 1) get your PSA levels checked annually when you are of age and 2) don’t freak out, it’s a very slow growing cancer. I started treatment a year after the 1st sign of trouble.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I went through Proton Therapy (a type of radiation) last year at MD Anderson - 40 zaps over 8 weeks. I was a little young for prostate cancer at 57. We found it early through PSA screenings at mostly-annual checkups.

Two points to share: 1) get your PSA levels checked annually when you are of age and 2) don’t freak out, it’s a very slow growing cancer. I started treatment a year after the 1st sign of trouble.
It is usually a slow growing cancer but not always. My Urologist said I had "A tiger in the tank" for those of you old enough to remember the Exxon commercials. Mine was fast growing.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thanks guys for sharing, valuable info and good reading about some tough times. Had my PSA checked about 20+ yrs ago at the advice of my GP and a friend in his 70's (back then) in order to estabish a baseline for the future. Grandad had it when he completed that higher journey in his 80's. I'll see what the future holds.
thnx again!
puffing pleasure to one and all-
mike

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
My PSA was climbing so I did what I always do, I didn’t pay any attention to my doctor and did my own research. I hit the issue with a cocktail of powerful supplements: Beta Sistosterol, Saw Palmetto, Stinging Nettle Root, Stinging Nettle Leaf, Graminex, Pygeum, Rye Grass, Zinc (Citrate) and Iodine. All of this is taken at different intervals during the day and at last check, my PSA is down to 2. Thank goodness for my stubborn attitude.

Oops! My alarm just went off! Gotta go take my bedtime supplements.

Edit: I also take D-Mannose for bladder health.

Status
Not open for further replies.