PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Evening gents,
In my latest batch of estate pipes I received some additional odds and ends. One item is a pipe bowl without a stem. I believe once it is cleaned up it may be interesting.

I wanted to post some pics here to see if anyone can tell me a brand name so I can hopefully try to replace the stem.
65BECDFA-8919-4AA5-B15F-C413EEB6D032.jpeg
2AE6E469-594A-4282-9CC6-9B4AC6F6405E.jpeg
At first I thought the stem had broken off inside the mortise, but on closer inspection that black ring is the wood covered in carbon. The other ring is a metal insert within the mortise. The inner diameter is .232” or 5.89mm. There are no threads so it appears to be a slide fit stem.

has anyone seen a stem like this, or happen to know a brand name? There are no makers marks at all on the pipe. Or am I totally off base?

have a good evening,
Rob

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
This just me but considering the look of the pipe, I'd be very tempted to order a nice acrylic swirl stem from Forever Stems and gently sand the tenon down 1-1.5 mm until it fit. That'd give the pipe a spigot/military mount look for less than $20.

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I think that black ring isn't wood and carbon but the meerschaum that has the tobacco coloring that happens with a well smoked pipe. Get a stem with a push tennon and enjoy your find. As a caveat brighter minds than mine are sure to shed light on your pipe.20210823_173253.jpg

Reactions: Casual and dmcmtk

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
This just me but considering the look of the pipe, I'd be very tempted to order a nice acrylic swirl stem from Forever Stems and gently sand the tenon down 1-1.5 mm until it fit. That'd give the pipe a spigot/military mount look for less than $20.
Actually the acrylic might look good with it now that you mention it. I haven’t intentionally gone down that road with any other pipes, but once it’s cleaned I’ll have to reevaluate.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I think that black ring isn't wood and carbon but the meerschaum that has the tobacco coloring that happens with a well smoked pipe. Get a stem with a push tennon and enjoy your find. As a caveat brighter minds than mine are sure to shed light on your pipe.View attachment 94123
That pipe of yours looks very similar. I didn’t see a sleeve in the bowl, but I also haven’t cleaned it up yet. We’ll see how it turns out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
It looks like a Meerschaum pipe .
Now that more than one has mentioned that I’ll have to give it a good cleaning and look again. I’m not all that experienced, but my first glance looked like a dirty painted pipe since I thought I picked out grain on a worn spot. It wasn’t mentioned in the listing, so it was an extra regardless. It’s not a winning lottery ticket, but at the end of a crappy day, I’ll happily take any surprise.
Thanks

Reactions: B.Fee