PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I recently brought a few Benlow Golmet lighters online, a Motorist and two smaller lighters that as far as I know don’t have a specific name but seem to be their most common model. The plain aluminium one came complete but the gold plated one came without the screw that retains the flint. I know this is a real long shot but does anyone have a replacement?image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 2

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any way to track back to the manufacturer and ask them? In the meantime, the best suggestion I have is to go to your local old time hardware store with a wall of drawers of bolts and screws and see what you can find that fits the threads and does the job. It won't have that configuration, of course, but you might find something to fudge it. This sometimes works.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Any way to track back to the manufacturer and ask them? In the meantime, the best suggestion I have is to go to your local old time hardware store with a wall of drawers of bolts and screws and see what you can find that fits the threads and does the job. It won't have that configuration, of course, but you might find something to fudge it. This sometimes works.
Benlow isn’t going anymore and those wonderful old hardware stores don’t exist here anymore (the last one in our area went under due to Covid) I’m thinking that a jeweller or watch maker/repairer might have something similar but I’ll have to wait til lockdown is over and pray those shops survive this mishegas.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Any gunsmith can whip you one right up. If you can locate the right size threaded rod the rest c an be done with a drill, a file, and a hacksaw...
My father was a gunsmith for Purdey’s but he’s no longer with us. Finding a gunsmith in Britain now?Not very likely I’m afraid, we have a ridiculous attitude towards firearms here. What I wouldn’t do to empty a few clips right now, it was always my favourite therapy.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
As luck would have it I know someone who collects vintage lighters. And he knows people with parts. I will inquire for you.

Reactions: Birddog66

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
The unmarked units look to be "American-made aluminum mono-block lighters". If you google that, you should start to see similar items. A lot of those lighters aren't marked, & were just copied/created & sold by random machine shops across the country. I don't know who the original brand was, or much about the lighters at all, although I've never done much research on them, either. If you want to try & collect a variety of them, they seem to be perpetually slept-on.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Not American, I see them now, British Benlow Golmet...are yours butane, or fluid & wick? I see a couple boxes with "Golmet Lord" on them containing similar lighters but with only one dial on the bottom, but I think that might be the model name for what you have.

Reactions: Birddog66
Status
Not open for further replies.