PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I believe this isn’t the first time Kajun Kake and mold have been discussed. I’m terribly sorry you opened a tin to see that.
It’s certainly not, especially from this time period. Thankfully they’ve corrected their issues with mold and it’s not an issue any longer. The only problem that remains is the potential for a moldy tin in the cellar from one of these older tins.

Reactions: chopper

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
It doesn't look like mold to me, not saying you should smoke whatever it is though. Did it smell bad when you opened it?
It did not smell bad at all. In fact, it smelt great. I’ve never seen mold look like this but I’ve also never seen plume look this either.

I will send an email to C&D to see what they think and report back.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Yep. I had a tin of Kajun Kake from 2014 that went moldy on me. I haven't tried the blend since...not out of fear that other tins made today would experience the same, but because of the mental block.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
My favorite part is where the mold or substance goes yellow in patches on the brick.

Is that the colony dying or just the accumulated waste?

Reactions: weezell
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
View attachment 172187In my decade of pipe smoking I’ve only ran into mold twice, so I am by no means an expert. Ha, please telll me I’m wrong about this, because I would love to smoke it!

That's a better photo. That still doesn't look like the normal white spider web mold but I'm not sure what else it could be. I'll smoke most things but I doubt I would smoke that. Break it in half and see what the inside looks like.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's a better photo. That still doesn't look like the normal white spider web mold but I'm not sure what else it could be. I'll smoke most things but I doubt I would smoke that. Break it in half and see what the inside looks like.
I thought the same. Doesn't look like the normal mold I've seen, but that's sketchy.

Reactions: weezell