PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Guys, steer me in the right direction. I would like a digital hygrometer, something small, cheap and that works. I have a 25 Cigar humidor at the moment and it’s hard for me to read the analog unit I have in it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
I have bought a bunch of cheap digital hygrometers from Amazon. They come pre-calibrated and with a defined tolerance which is OK for me.
And they agree with each other. If I put them in the humidor close to each other, they read the same.
I humidity my main humidor with Boveda 72 packs. In summer when it is very humid, they all read 71 or 72. In winter, when my house is very dry, depending where they are placed in the humidor, they would read 64-69. They are working well for me.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've mostly stopped using them, to be honest. I haven't found any that I really trust to be fully accurate and what I found was that as long as I checked and made sure my 65% heartfelt beads weren't dried out (in my coolerdor) and my 65% Bovedas weren't stiff (tupperdors), they're not really providing me any essential information.

Unless having a very specific rH is super important to you, just get a cheapie. It will have a MOE of a few percent, but if you're shooting for a safe rH with a bit of a buffer on either side, it shouldn't matter too much.

Just my two cents anyway.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Used to have luck with Western Digital, but got 2 bunk ones in a row. I've got 3 that I've had for years - they tend to agree with each other and I know what my cigars smoke best at based upon what they read, but as for how accurate they are, who knows?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoked cigars in two phases:
1. Until I quit, about two years
2. When I restarted smoking, and bought everything back.

During Phase 1 I had three humidors and was somehow able to maintain humidity by calibrating the hygrometers with the salt test. They never read the same and had to be read according to their variance. This worked for a time despite that someone was making a lot of money on these worthless pieces of sh*t.

During Phase 2 hygrometers showed their true colors and never worked no matter how many I bought. I went to my cigar guy and he totally supported that they were worthless pieces of sh*t. He recommended that I throw them out and use Boveda, period.

Test the humidity by rolling the cigar between thumb and forefinger.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I have a Govee, I think it was $12 or so on Amazon. I did a calibration test but it was already correct when I received it. It is bluetooth connected which is nice. Like others have said, eventually I'll get to the point where I don't bother with it since properly sized humidifiers will consistently keep the right humidity levels.

Reactions: danimalia
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Cigars aren't as fragile as many people seem to think they are. Something less than 68 and more than 58 should be fine. Cigars are like pipe tobacco, drier is better. I like mine dry to the point before the wrapper is so dry it cracks easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.