PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Known by various names, Hybrids, cross-overs, sweet Englishes, whatever you call them or know them as - I love them. Don't get me wrong, I love my heavy Englishes/Balkans too (Gaslight, Plum Pudding, Father Dempsey, etc.). But I do have a pretty good sweet tooth and I find these "hybrid" Aromatic/English crossovers really hit the spot for me.

I know there is quite a continuum of such blends; some are straight up aromatics with a little bit of latakia added (Lane HGL) and others are "normal" English blends with a bit of a sweet topping/casing added (Northwoods, Countryside). So no matter where they land on the spectrum, what are our favorites/recommendations for sweet latakia blends?

Reactions: kylef

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Cornell and Diehl’s Old College is a basically unknown blend that really checks all the boxes for me, and is also a blend which will pretty much smoke itself once you put a match to it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sutliff Burma Road and Count Pulaski and Sillem's Black

Also, rage if you will, but I've been known to throw a pinch of Molto Dolce into a bowl of Plum Pudding from time to time. Hehehe.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The crew always makes me proud.

1570221141107-jpeg.4023

+1

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My old favorites are no longer produced - Frog Morton Cellar and the underrated and lesser-known Iwan Ries Gourmet English, which was blended by McClelland, so it also went away along with the Froggies.

I've really been enjoying Shepherd's Pie by Country Squire. I'd like to try some others in this thread as well.

M

Marindas

Another vote for Country Squire's Northwest Trek as a crossover. My regular go-to "sweet English" is a blend of 2/3 Country Squire's Angry Cornishman with 1/3 Boswell's Northwoods.

I was a big fan of FMC when it was available.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Found someone willing to sell me some Pembroke so I'm excited to try it for the first time. First esoterica blend too.
I just gave some Esoterica samples to another forum member. If you're in the continental US, PM me your address and I'll get some to you.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I love these blends as well. These are some that I like that I think fit the bill:

Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend
Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant
Murray's 1810 Belfast
Sutliffe Revelation Match
Peretti's Blend 102

...and although I haven't tried it yet, I got a tin of MacBaren Plumcake which I think fits the description.

Status
Not open for further replies.