PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Florence isn't the biggest or meanest storm ever to hit the Atlantic, but it seems to be the first to head toward the U.S. eastern coast this year. I'm hoping its tracking will change slightly (selfishly) because it is headed right toward me. The last major hurricane to make an inland run was Fran in 1996, which made Raleigh N.C. look like it had been under an artillery siege and power was out for weeks. We had another direct experience with Felix in 1998, where our problem was flooding. Usually the N.C. coast takes the strafing and the brunt. People never think of the central state getting hit. Just hope the tracking changes and the storm dissipates before we see any of it here. Now we're right in the center of the track at the end of the week.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
Hopefully the winds of change blow her north. Thoughts are with you and everyone else that could be affected.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Last time I was in Raleigh , I was drinking ‘vodker’ with a couple of young women at the hotel bar , fun times
Anyhoo , batten down the hatches and stay safe , the wind isn’t necessarily the bad part , things flying in the wind can be bad , as well the storm surge and sea swells .
I’m further north , rare to get hurricanes , they tend to flatten out to subtropical depressions as they move up .
Cheers

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Stay safe! I know exactly what you mean in the center of the state. We were in central SC in 1989 when Hugo came through the area. Massive devastation from the downed trees and wind. I know the coasts get hammered but it doesn’t end there.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm in Kentucky and we're getting flooding from it.
20180909_211030.png

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm on this trip right now and almost hate being away while it hits. I have to pass through all that on the way home. I'm in Bloomington, Indiana tonight, big visit to a couple nice tobacco stores tomorrow then it's back to my mom's in Albemarle for a few days and on the way back to Raleigh. I don't like being away when big storms hit my home.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jvnshr, Sorry, I thought that was where I started it, but I guess my click landed elsewhere. I remember deciding on that; oh well, my annual mistake (ha). The tracking sure doesn't show much difference here Monday morning. The other factors will include how much it dissipates over land (not much distance to work with) and if it curves north much or at all. And if it stalls and dumps rain. It looks like the coast will get hit, whether sideswiped or directly. They're already encouraging students to leave the Wilmington university campus and may order evacuation. Inland towns and cities just don't often see winds and rain at this level, so are pretty vulnerable. Trees down, power outages, and roof damage can be bad. I tend to do a "chicken little" routine in hopes that I'll be wrong. See, the more I flap my arms, the more the storm scorns me and goes somewhere else, right?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
G'luck, y'all. I know a bunch of you guys are in the potential cone. 'Canes are a hobby for me, but I'm odd (& yes, I have -- lived through quite a few of them, being from south GA & having lived in the Pandhandle for bookoo years). Y'all evac, or "defend in place," & I'm sending all possible poz vibes your way. "Run from the water, hide from the wind."
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Monday afternoon, the wind's picked up and the pros seem to predict category 3 or 4 when it makes landfall. 'Sure hoping for some kind of salvation, a nice curve northward, but no weather systems are coming to the rescue. In the midst of Fran, my late wife said, "It seem like there should be someone we could call about this." She had a wicked sense of humor, but also that was the feeling. Yipes. The Navy at Norfolk and area is sending its ships to sea, as is good practice, since if you stay in port, the ships get torn up on the piers and rocks. I rode out what was described at a typhoon evasion in the South China Sea. If that was the evasion, I don't think anyone survived the typhoon. We had a round-bottomed ship (wooden) that had no discernible pattern -- it pitched, rolled, and yawed, and when you thought it had reached its full angle off ninety degrees, it would lean a little further. What a ride.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I remember seeing some on the scene weather person doing a report on some hurricane, with wind whipping their faces, rain going every which way, and just utter chaos around them. People were out for a jog behind them. I know we are all bulletproof immortals here, but no one try that at home ok?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everyone in the line of fire remember, the wind is scary and can be deadly, but what causes the most fatalities is the flooding. Don't drive through water or try to do recreational boating, or heaven forbid surf or swim. This is power way beyond what you can manage. Hunker down. Most people get in trouble after the wind is over.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Chasing Embers - that's the remenants of Tropical Storm Gordon causing the flooding. Florence is still way offshore.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
As we used to say down home, "You know it's going to be a bad day when you wake up & see Jim Cantore doing a report from your front yard."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just checked my sump pump operation and french drain lines in the basement, all clear. I hope my 20 year old roof can take another season of storms....

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
At present (Tues a.m.) it's still way too far offshore to make anything more than a general SWAG where it'll make landfall, until at LEAST tomorrow (Wed) morning. Pundits are saying central NC coast but my guess right now is more like Cape Hatteras or Norfolk/VA Beach area or a little north of there. I've been wrong before but based on experience that's what it looks like to me.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.