PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
And before you know it, the heat will gradually dissipate and Fall will arrive. That means leaves. It means a temperature more conducive to the human species. And it means..... [insert drumroll...........] the onset of HUNTING SEASON.
Any hunters out there with big plans?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Elk muzzleloader opens September 12th here in Colorado. I'll try to get in some dove before that, maybe blue grouse and ptarmigan too, then it's off to duck and pheasant after elk.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
A very timely post. My deer tags arrived in the mail today. Won't be long now and I'll be 20 feet up in my favourite tree waiting to see what wanders by. :D
I do a lot of hunting locally at my uncle's farm (deer, rabbit, turkey, dove, coyote) and have been very successful there in years past. Don't have any hunting trips planned for this fall but there is a chance that opportunities will come up...fingers crossed. :puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, it means that I've got to get back to my butcher for more rib eye steaks before grilling season is over.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Miss Perique cooked up some venison awhile back - I think I even started a venison thread - in my opinion to tease me and get me mentally right for a productive season.
There's nothing I love more than game: venison, duck, goose, etc. (No Elk down here in Dixie) But there's plenty of possum.
What's that the Cajuns say, 1) is it dead? 2) Can we eat it? 3) What is it?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
booker, I hear you. I'm a meat hunter, not a trophy hunter. And I process my own.
But I do understand the appeal of trophy hunting. To each his own I guess. It's just not for me.
One thing I would say to those who "outsource" the processing - make sure you really know your guy. Or you may end up with Lord knows what.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Oh how I miss hunting, haven't gone since I've been in CA. ... I'm thinking of scouting out the sierras this fall to check things out. If all goes well ill plan a week long trip for next season, I don't sit in trees or wait for for deer, I enjoy that "hunting" aspect of it, which means I do a shit ton of hiking, glassing, hiking, glassing, stalking, hiking, stalking and hopefully carrying out some meat for the family. Well except for the liver or heart... Those are usually what I make at camp if and when I harvest a deer.

Man I'm getting myself too excited :wink:

Jun 4, 2014
I usually take one of my guns out for a walk a couple of times during deer season. For me the hunting usually is good, its the finding that is poor.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
The area I hunt locally is not "stalking" country so a tree stand in the hedgerow is how I do it. When I go up north to hunt with my rifle I like to walk and stalk the woods for the game I'm hunting. I am fortunate that my uncle's farm is 10 minutes away so no travel expenses to worry about and I can go as often as I like, as work permits. My zone is also archery only for deer which adds to the challenge and enjoyment for me. I usually fortunate enough take at least one per season and if I get out enough two or three is not unheard of.
As for processing, I do it all myself from field dressing, butchering and vacuum sealing and then into the freezer. Although it is not for everyone I take as much pride in processing the game as I do in hunting it and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction to do it myself.
Opening day for deer here in Southwestern Ontario is October 1st. I always take that day off work as well as the opener for turkey in April. It's still usually too warm and mild for productive hunting but I take the opening day off as a tradition and spend the entire day in my tree enjoying the beauty of the fields and bush around me....it's good for the soul. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's my "hunting" method ... feel free to copy it:
1. Find out when my buddies are going hunting.

2. Put together a nice cigar/bourbon package and give it to said buddies.

3. Wait for Elk tacos to arrive at my door.
This method has been working quite well for the past few years! :mrgreen:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Oh yeah! I have been pretty slack on the hunting in recent years, but I'm planning on getting back into it pretty heavy this year.

I hunted all during spring turkey season this year, and had several missed opportunities. Also did a little squirrel hunting.

Me and my buddy have already been scouting some good spots for deer, bear and hogs.

I'm hoping we get at least one of each!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
While attending my state's fair recently I picked up a copy of the new hunting and trapping regulations. I immediately turned to the "Hunting Seasons" section to see when our upland game season opens. November is still some time off, but it's not too soon to begin slimming the dogs and the over-fed feeder of the dogs!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Amen! Freezer is sparse here too. And yes monster deer to be had in IL. This is my kill last year, a 17 point non typical.

URL=http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/Shaintiques/media/image.jpg1_zps7n8wtdb7.jpg.html]
image.jpg1_zps7n8wtdb7.jpg
[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.