PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have missed the last few Pheasant Seasons in Colorado. However, this year I am ready and excited to get up before the sun, drive a few hours to a piece of land that is no longer available to the public, then scratch my head and look at the map and find another piece of land that is available but has no birds. Then walk around for a few hours holding my shotgun and chaffing my undercarriage in the hopes of stumbling across a bird to shoot and hopefully put in the Crock Pot when I get home so I can warm up after a long, exhausting and wonderfully perfect day.

I have also been thinking of what kind of blend I will smoke out on the field. It seems like hunters were all about pipe smoking just a few years back or maybe it was the other way around... Either way with Erik Nording's Hunter Blends gone, what would a bird hunter smoke with his dog on the field. I found these pictures/paintings and thought that the love for the hunt, the dog, and the smoke were pretty strong in these guys.

Thoughts on any "hunting" themed blends?

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Come late October I’ll be hunting grouse with a good buddy of mine. I don’t know which blend I’ll be taking. Last year it was Granger and a Grabow. Since then my collection has grown considerably, so choices, choices...

Coincidentally Granger uses the image of an English Pointer on their tubs.

Reactions: milehighpiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
003-016-0165.jpg

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Robert Ruark’s “Old Man” smoked Prince Albert regularly on their hunts - I tend to keep a tin of Dunhill 965 on the bookshelf in the cottage for warming up by the wood stove after a day in the field - or woods.

Reactions: danimalia

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Seems like here in Iowa we go to Colorado for Elk, they come here for pheasant.
That is so true! I am thinking of getting a license to hunt in Kansas just because the public lands in Colorado are going away little by little. I have gone Elk hunting a few times and the last time my friend got one and it was a large amount of work to field dress, quarter and pack that thing out. Upland hunting is easier on my fragile joints, I can exercise the dog and hike around in a field and have snacks!

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Could see stratfordshire being a sturdy outdoorsman's luxury blend. Maybe GH Scotch Mixture too. Black twist but for many that's not long term thinking.
In my case, deer love nicotine. They've damn near chewed a cigaret out of my lip.
Perfect middle ground ODF RR?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Dunno about a hunting-themed blend per se, but Carter Hall is an excellent outdoors pipe tobacco. Burns easy and consistent, won't bite, nice earthy molasses burley flavor, and a very light bourbon vanilla topping. Great burning qualities so you won't be fiddling with your lighter or tamper with your hands off your gun or your fishing rod when the opportunity comes. Even if you're familiar with Carter Hall and have overlooked or discounted it, try taking some out in the field sometime and see how you like it there.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Dunno about a hunting-themed blend per se, but Carter Hall is an excellent outdoors pipe tobacco. Burns easy and consistent, won't bite, nice earthy molasses burley flavor, and a very light bourbon vanilla topping. Great burning qualities so you won't be fiddling with your lighter or tamper with your hands off your gun or your fishing rod when the opportunity comes. Even if you're familiar with Carter Hall and have overlooked or discounted it, try taking some out in the field sometime and see how you like it there.
I don't even know where carter hall is in the store!!! I have focused more on the English blends. However, I will throw a few bucks at a little box of sweet tobacco since so many have recommended it!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I love me a good pheasant hunt !!! The season over here was open beginning with October 1st, but it is so unusually hot for this time of year that dogs do not work very well. Much of the vegetation is still standing, their sense of smell is easily deceived, not to mention that they tire quite fast in the 28 degree celsius autumn sun. Hopefully November will be much kinder for the chase. Last year I had me a cavalier with a Presbyterian mixture in the field ... it was quite comforting.

Reactions: aquadoc

ormazd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2018
Virginia, USA
I have missed the last few Pheasant Seasons in Colorado. However, this year I am ready and excited to get up before the sun, drive a few hours to a piece of land that is no longer available to the public, then scratch my head and look at the map and find another piece of land that is available but has no birds. Then walk around for a few hours holding my shotgun and chaffing my undercarriage in the hopes of stumbling across a bird to shoot and hopefully put in the Crock Pot when I get home so I can warm up after a long, exhausting and wonderfully perfect day.

I have also been thinking of what kind of blend I will smoke out on the field. It seems like hunters were all about pipe smoking just a few years back or maybe it was the other way around... Either way with Erik Nording's Hunter Blends gone, what would a bird hunter smoke with his dog on the field. I found these pictures/paintings and thought that the love for the hunt, the dog, and the smoke were pretty strong in these guys.

Thoughts on any "hunting" themed blends?

View attachment 4692View attachment 4693View attachment 4694View attachment 4695

If you really like the Nording Hunter Blend, you should call Iwan Ries. They have a ton of it left.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My pheasant hunting days were long before I started smoking a pipe, but I'd suggest something stout pre-hunt to heighten the senses, maybe a JackKnife Plug or GHC Dark Flake. Post hunt, bird in the crock with your tired ass feet finally dry and rested (OK, maybe it was just me), I'd suggest a nice medium-full Latakia/Balkan blend.

I really did enjoy pheasant hunting. Would love to take it (or any upland birds, really) up again if I found myself in a place where it was more available. Something truly special about scouring the fields with a good dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.