PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
This Summer I will travel through Hungary, I will be there for a month and as usually, I would like to pick up some local pipe products. I know that Hungary is famous for inventing the "Hungarian pipe shape" in the Debrecen pipe factory during the 19th century (which sadly they started to call Oom Paul after that b@stard for who knows what reason). So unfortunately, the old pipe factory is not existing anymore but there is a pipe factory in Nagykőrös, called Szabó Pipagyár which is also quite old, it is producing pipes since 1930. https://www.pipagyar.hu/?lang=en

I'm sure that I will pick up some pipe from them, their pipes -especially the "premium limited" series- looks very promising. I have read that there is a Hungarian pipe maker, Antal Molnár (Tonyo) but his pipes are very rare and difficult to get one. Eastblockbriars on ebay sometimes has one from him. https://www.ebay.de/itm/A-Molnar-Freehand-Death-Star-Plateaux-NEU-9mm-Pipe-Pfeife-Pipa-Handmade/123720525018?hash=item1cce5164da:g:TtMAAOSwX3ZcTEoj

I was wondering if you know any other Hungarian pipe makers or factories? I will visit the pipe shop of Gallwitz, he has the oldes pipe shop in Budapest. Do you have any other tips?

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Interesting, I hope you find something as I was looking for a pipe from around there as well. I found there are several carvers working out of there, but out of my price range.
I could find carvers from the surrounding countries, Austria, Slovakia, Ukraine, Croatia and Serbia, but no more from Hungary, only Antal Molnár/Tonyo and of course, the factory pipes from Szabó.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister sent me a Kemberling pipe from Austria that's a beauty. It's set up for 9 mm filters but smokes equally well with no filter and no adaptor, and I'd highly recommend it if you happen upon one, though not of course Hungarian. Mine is a smooth bent Rhodesian with a bead line, and a large Group 4 (Medium).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To have a Hungarian made Hungarian! Excellent!
I have a Canadian Canadian, but no Rhodesian made Rhody, nor any other shape made in its namesake location. Dublin Dublin? Liverpudlian Liverpool? A Zulu made Zulu?
An Author made by a writer? Does Ryan Alden fit that description? :)

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Exactly, I'm looking after a Hungarian made Hungarian. I also want an Eskimo from Greenland or northern Canada, but I think they don't have pipe carvers.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I'd love to see an Hungarian made artisan pipe. My mother is Hungarian, from Sopron.
We will visit that city too. Kőszeg, Sopron, Szombathely, Lake Balaton - Keszthely, Zánka, Káli-medence, Badacsony, Tihany, Balatonfüred, Veszprém, Szentendre, Visegrád, Budapest, Pécs, Szeged, Eger, Debrecen. I hope that I wrote all of them correctly. The biggest (or at least with the widest product range) pipe shop is in Budapest, called Gallwitz and the second one is a tobacco shop called Pipatórium - in Hungary they have tobacco stores called "Nemzeti Dohánybolt", I think it means "National Tobacco Store" at least by google translate. I hope that I will find some Hungarian pipe tobacco there as well. Unfortunately I could find only one Hungarian pipe artisan, Antal Molnár but I don't think they sell his pipes in those national tobacco stores, maybe at Gallwitz pipe shop. Anyway, I will ask about the carvers at Gallwitz.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You may have already seen these Reborn Pipe blogs, but Steve Laug has been to Hungary on several occasions and written about those experiences:
https://rebornpipes.com/tag/budapest-pipe-shops/

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/hungarian-pipe-smokers/

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Unfortunately I don't have any of my links anymore, but trust they are out there. Sounds like a nice trip you have planned for yourself in any event!
No problem, thank you for your efforts.

When I travel somewhere with my family I always like to see not only the capital or one city of a country but many towns, cities, villages, the countryside as well. And I hate to hurry so everywhere I want to spend at least some days. Where we like, we stay there for longer so the trip can change. Anyway, I'm very excited about this trip, I can't wait to put down all the work and just smoke pipe and drink excellent beers and wines in good weather on a terrace by wineyards at Lake Balaton.

szent.donat.birtok.borterasz.csopak.holvenyi.kristof.20180712.8578.1.inbox1200x630.png

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
You may have already seen these Reborn Pipe blogs, but Steve Laug has been to Hungary on several occasions and written about those experiences:
https://rebornpipes.com/tag/budapest-pipe-shops/

https://rebornpipes.com/tag/hungarian-pipe-smokers/
Thanks, I have read these of course! The only bad thing is that July is still far away.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
sounds you are heading into Austria. Are you taking any day trips out there?
Hungary has also good beers, like small batch craft beers and factory beers from Pécs (Szalon, Pécsi premium pils/lager, etc.) are also very good. And I think Hungarian wines are on par with French ones, sometimes even better (Tokaj, Badacsony, Villány). I have been to Austria many times before (business trips) but I don't really like it there. But I think I will like Hungary, I made my homework with research on history, culture, booze and pipes/tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.