PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I got a pipe rack/humidor/pipe tray combo a while back & I’ve got some questions about the humidor. It’s walnut lined with cork & has a little cotton dealey on the lid. (I assume you fill the vial with distilled water.) My questions are: 1. Would you line the inside with cedar sheets or leave them as is? 2. Would it be better to take the cork out? 3. Forget the whole thing & use a mason jar?

Attachments

• D3CACDC2-D340-4065-B209-E29B11A54225.jpeg
    D3CACDC2-D340-4065-B209-E29B11A54225.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 7A07D700-19CD-4A94-8703-95F4EDBEA222.jpeg
    7A07D700-19CD-4A94-8703-95F4EDBEA222.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 25A854BD-2F31-4810-A579-944CC3E3029C.jpeg
    25A854BD-2F31-4810-A579-944CC3E3029C.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 7

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I would consider filling the little vial with hydration beads. A few of my older Dunhill/Elie Bleu humidors have large versions of what you have (some with wicks) that are meant to be filled with distilled water—I fill the vials with beads and then add the water. It works well.
Are your humidors lined with cork as well? I was considering getting some cedar sheets to line the inside with, as cork is so absorbent & I’m worried about it wicking too much moisture out of the tobacco.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Are your humidors lined with cork as well? I was considering getting some cedar sheets to line the inside with, as cork is so absorbent & I’m worried about it wicking too much moisture out of the tobacco.
No, most of my humidors are cedar lined. Some of the smaller ones are ceramic, glass, or wood. If you maintain the humidity with the device, chances are the cork’s absorbency won’t be an issue. You should probably prime the cork lined container anyway so that it retains moisture before you place anything in it. A shot glass with distilled water placed in the bottom of your container with the lid closed for several days will help with the priming.

If you line with cedar and let it dry out, it will also wick. It’ll be no different than the original cork. You have to stay on top of maintaining your preferred humidity. The relative humidity in your area may change quite a bit, depending on where you live/time of year, etc.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
No, most of my humidors are cedar lined. Some of the smaller ones are ceramic, glass, or wood. If you maintain the humidity with the device, chances are the cork’s absorbency won’t be an issue. You should probably prime the cork lined container anyway so that it retains moisture before you place anything in it. A shot glass with distilled water placed in the bottom of your container with the lid closed for several days will help with the priming.

If you line with cedar and let it dry out, it will also wick. It’ll be no different than the original cork. You have to stay on top of maintaining your preferred humidity. The relative humidity in your area may change quite a bit, depending on where you live/time of year, etc.
Cool. I’ll try priming the cork first & if it doesn’t work or starts to stain I’ll try cedar sheets.
I’m in New Orleans so the humidity is always 80% minimum. Very helpful! Thanks!

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Mason jar is my vote. Then again, never used humidor for pipe tobacco before. It's whole lot easier to put the tobacco in a mason jar and forget about it.
I got it with a pipe rack & figured might as well use it for bulk tobacco. If it doesn’t work I’ll move on to mason jars.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You didn't specify if you were using it to store pipe tobacco or cigars
I presume (as it comes with a pipe rack combo) you're talking pipe tobacco storage.

Cigars prefer an ambient humidity of 65-70%
Less for pipe tobacco

I would much prefer a mason jar to store my pipe tobacco