PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Greetings. My humidor has a hydrometer that shows right in the "normal" zone. However, my cigars are a little crispy. Any suggestions or idea's is appreciated. I use the Xikar solution in my humidifier. Cigars are stored in their cellophane wrappers.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Greetings. My humidor has a hydrometer that shows right in the "normal" zone. However, my cigars are a little crispy. Any suggestions or idea's is appreciated. I use the Xikar solution in my humidifier. Cigars are stored in their cellophane wrappers.

If you haven't you should slat test your hygrometer and adjust it if necessary. I've only ever had one arrive that was accurate by any degree. Most were way off. Fortunately the test is easy. Click here: How To Salt Test

Also, if your humidor isn't fully seasoned (wood has absorbed enough moisture) this will continue until it is.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I received advice from Western digital once that one should NOT salt test digital hygrometers as the salty moisture could promote corrosion. My understanding is the best calibration is done lower than the RH provided by a salt test (which typically is around 75% RH). I would use a boveda packet (either 60, 65 or 70, depending on what your target RH is for the smokes).

Also remember RH is temperature dependent. Any given RH level (as shown on the hygrometer) will affect the actual amount of moisture in your cigars depending on whether the room is at 50, 60 or 70 (*F) degrees. The RH of the room your humidor is in will also affect the amount of moisture in your humidor. Humidors are almost never moisture- and air-tight and moisture content of air seeks balance, similar to how heat and pressure regulate.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I received advice from Western digital once that one should NOT salt test digital hygrometers as the salty moisture could promote corrosion. My understanding is the best calibration is done lower than the RH provided by a salt test (which typically is around 75% RH). I would use a boveda packet (either 60, 65 or 70, depending on what your target RH is for the smokes).

Also remember RH is temperature dependent. Any given RH level (as shown on the hygrometer) will affect the actual amount of moisture in your cigars depending on whether the room is at 50, 60 or 70 (*F) degrees. The RH of the room your humidor is in will also affect the amount of moisture in your humidor. Humidors are almost never moisture- and air-tight and moisture content of air seeks balance, similar to how heat and pressure regulate.
I've never used those boveda packets before, but I think I may give those a try. Good information. Thanks.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Depending on the size and aesthetics of your humidor, you could switch to a wet/dry bulb thermometer. Quality hygrometers are expensive instruments. This is a device that comes with a chart to use the two readings you get to calculate RH at whatever temperature.

If you're a tinkerer, an arduino nano and a dht22 sensor can take those measurements pretty damn accurately for about $40 worth of stuff and some time. More discrete than a wet bulb thermometer, too.

Reactions: HitchensDog

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I buy these cheap digital hygrometers from Amazon and they seem to work pretty well and be pretty accurate, certainly more accurate than those analog hygrometers that they include with new humidors.
Just realize the sensor is on the backside of the unit, so placing it in a bag with the sensor faced down will give a slow/un-true reading. Make sure the bottom of the unit has room to breath and can detect air flow/RH.
Digital Hygrometer

Reactions: HitchensDog

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Is humidity really so important? I have no experience with cigars and have recently ordered some. I don't plan to invest in a humidor.
For pipe tobacco I don't care if it's bone dry, I like it almost crispy.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Is humidity really so important? I have no experience with cigars and have recently ordered some. I don't plan to invest in a humidor.
For pipe tobacco I don't care if it's bone dry, I like it almost crispy.
Absolutely. To further complicate matters, some cigars smoke better drier (upper 50s to low 60s RH, such as Havanas), while others are better with a bit more moisture (upper 60s RH, such as many Dominicans and milder cigars).

Reactions: luigi
Status
Not open for further replies.