PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hi all

My cigar cabinet hums away quietly at 68% RH and 70 deg F. Cigars are happy, and have been for years.

My pipe tobacco by contrast languishes in my basement. Either bottled in mason jars, or in the original tins, reinforced with aluminum tape in large Tupperware bins.

This seems to work, as for the most part, this has been fine for 10 or so years.
I can’t help wondering if the tobacco oils would be better off in a better controlled environment.

It is becoming increasingly harder to import tobacco without customs and excise murdering one, and travel down to the US is out of the question for the foreseeable future. With tobacco tax and Canadian dollar being where they are at, my historic purchases are a better investment than my fancy bank can offer. I’d like to preserve the stuff!

Does anyone have any insights?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have the same set up as you. My tins and jars rest quietly in the basement in plastic totes. I haven't had any trouble yet

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
My tobaccos are stored in jars and tins which I keep in filing cabinets in my home office so humidity and temp should not be a problem.