PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
So I have had a long standing question and figured maybe I would ask those who are more knowledgeable than I.
I live in a very humid state (FL) and I have found that "just leaving my tobacco out" to dry never really works due to the humidity. Even leaving tobacco in my "dry" closet for a week open hardly changes the dryness of my tobacco. What I usually do to combat this is set my oven to the lowest setting (170 F) and turn it off, wait about 5 min and place my tobacco inside for about 20ish min. My question is, for those who live in a very humid area, how do you dry your tobacco? Is there an easier way? I've tired the microwave method but I did not like the results. Or, do you guys just live and learn to love tobacco that's a little moist?

In 99% humidity Alabama, I tend to use a coffee mug warmer most of the time. Nuke it for 8 seconds in the microwave, never any longer... Sometimes put it under a lightbulb, but this doesn't always make it drier. Leave it on my windshield in midsummer heat, and even this doesn't work sometimes.

Coffee mug warmer and microwave are my best options. YMMV
I will leave the top off of a tin, and set the whole tin on a coffee mug warmer and leave it overnight. Then put the top back on and smoke normally. Works for me.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
That's actually a really good idea I would have never thought of myself. Thanks! I dont have a mug warmer but I do have a wax warmer that could fit a whole 1.75oz tin on that I can experiment with.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For some in humid climates who use air-conditioning a lot, leaving it out—indoors— for a while may work fine.
I find the use of a small hygrometer both in the jar and to guage the ambient humidity a plus.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I, too, live in FL. I have a tiny space heater. If a tobacco is too moist, I place it on a tray in front of it for 5-10 min before smoking. Works great. I stay away from it when it's hot :)

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Cigrmaster May have the simplest approach - I know I keep my south Florida house at 74 during the day and 71 while we’re sleeping and never felt any need to dry my tobacco..

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I found a solution that works perfectly when there's too much moisture in the air (it was over 80% these days). A heat gun! No more worries, now my tobaccos from any tin are ready to go in 5-10 seconds. Feeling victorious. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.