Huge College "Class Pipe" Collection including Dunhills (Villanova Syracuse, Lehigh, etc.)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
Hillcrest, fad ended around 1960, a 60 year run is pretty good. They are not offered anymore that I know of. I even shopped old pipe shops that did it, asking if they had any silver letters, or numbers still laying around. Some checked, and I got a resounding, NO.

Reactions: Humblepipe

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Are the letters/numbers on the bowl silver? Thanks for sharing these. Looking forward to any more you put up. This is very interesting.

Reactions: didimauw

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Interesting and attractive. I started smoking a pipe while in college in the early 70's. Even then, though, pot pipes were probably more common than tobacco pipes.:LOL:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've come across 2 in the wild that I can remember off hand. The first was a heavily smoked Kaywoodie with fraternity letters. The letters weren't silver though - seemed to be acrylic or bakelite maybe.
The other was a large Comoys apple with a T and '45.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I've come across 2 in the wild that I can remember off hand. The first was a heavily smoked Kaywoodie with fraternity letters. The letters weren't silver though - seemed to be acrylic or bakelite maybe.
The other was a large Comoys apple with a T and '45.

Interesting... there is a 1940 Boston U Kaywoodie, as well as two Comoy Apples (also Boston U) Class of 1934 and 1937 in this stash.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I remember seeing one of these about 20 years ago, A friend of mine, now deceased. brought in a large pipe, say 8" long, that had silver just like yours did. For the life of me I can't remember what lettering it had on it nor the numbers. I had never heard of a "class" pipe until you put up this thread.