PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Note: This tobacco is not available through any US distributors. I ordered from Esteval’s. No hassles other than the order sat in The German shipping / customs system for a couple of weeks after Esteval’s shipped it.
This is a Virginia / Burley / KY blend. It has a licorice top note that is undetectable except perhaps as a very faint, beautifully complementary, roundness. If you weren’t told there was a flavoring you’d never know.
Summary: Smoooooth, rich, round, delicious, easy smoking. Would appeal to fans of Burleys or the darker, non-grassy Virginias. Easily an all day smoke.
The Burleys are rich, nutty and without a trace of roughness. Occasional cocoa notes. The Virginias seem to me to be reds and lend a tobacco-sweetness to the bowl. The Kentucky sits way in the background and provides mainly an underpinning of richness and occasionally faint hints of light BBQ smoke. The components blend together but are still identifiable, like instruments in an orchestra. The flavor doesn’t change much through the bowl, but it’s never boring.
Needs a bit of drying time and a few relights but nothing unreasonable. Smokes dry. This blend invites frequent retrohales to enjoy the subtleties it possesses. The smoothness allows this without a hint of sharpness in the nose. Aftertaste is pleasant and lingers a bit without being overbearing.
This is one of those blends that is satisfying and invites another bowl.
If this were more readily available here it’d be considered a benchmark.
I’ll be ordering more as I imagine that it should age wonderfully.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
Nice review. Nashville County is a good tobacco but the one in the same vein that really blew me away was Makhuwa. Indeed, all of the HU Tobaccos are first rate. Some have their equal in more readily available tobaccos but many of them are in a class by themselves.
I hadn’t even heard of HU until browsing this forum and others in the last couple of years. It’s really the most interesting line of tobacco I think I have come across.

Reactions: ram74

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Great review renfield, spot on. I happened to smoke a bowl of this today and it reminded me of St. Bruno RR. I've only smoked about a half dozen bowls of Nashville County over the past year or two. Nice for a change of pace from my usual VAs and VaPers but always one then done for a while.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've cellared a fair amount of Nashville County. I like Makhuwa even better. Other than sharing a Burley base though, they aren't very similar.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Looks like I'll have to put Makhuwa on the list.
I haven't found many domestic blends where the burleys are as smooth as with Nashville County. It may be a personal chemistry thing but a high percentage of the US blends come across as rough and a bit harsh.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll have to open the tin of Nashville County that I bought back in 2016 and give it another go. I remember not liking it much at all. Makhuwa, on the other hand is like sipping a luxurious cup of cocoa, if you get the moisture level right. That's one that I stocked up.

HU are definitely among the highest quality blends available today. Hans is easily the best and most creative blender working today.

Given the international climate surrounding smoking of any sort, if you have an interest in trying and smoking HU tobaccos get off your fundament and order some while you still can.

Reactions: ram74

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have a paycheck coming in the mail, and I think I am going to take the plunge. Where is a good place to order them from? I'm American. I think I remember in the past, you could order direct, is that still the best way?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The check's in the mail..... :laughat:
jay-roger.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Where is a good place to order them from?
There are two places from which to order HU tobaccos for export to the US:
https://www.pfeifendepot.de/produkt-kategorie/tabak-tobacco/pfeifentabak/hu-tobacco/
https://www.tecon-gmbh.de/index.php?cPath=667_1563
You can try ordering from HU directly, but it's illegal in Germany for them to sell to you, since they are unlicensed.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Incidentally and just hours before this thread I ordered some Makhuwa (and some "CO The Swan") from Pfeifendepot. Good to hear the good reviews. I have to say I found it difficult to find what is what on their webpage, but part of the problem is the same with other tobacco choices for newbies like myself: the names of the blends often contain no indication of the composition and characteristics, and you have to read the individual descriptions (in the absence of a good search tool).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can use a translator tool on your browser. Pfeifendepot does provide description of each blend. You can also go to Tobacco Reviews for descriptions and reviews.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Va/Bur/KY genre keeps expanding. It's been around for a while but is getting increasing attention.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Can you elaborate on the ordering process? How do you pay in Euros? What does customs charge? Any details would be great.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
With Esteval’s it was like using any other e-commerce site. I don’t recall if I used my credit card directly or PayPal. Their site gives prices in Euros, USD and yen.
No additional customs duties etc, at least on my transaction, just shipping and the cost of goods. I suppose it’s possible that if Customs decides money is owed you’d get a letter.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Estervals will not accept PayPal although I have used a PayPal debit card successfully. The prices are in euros, you have to do your own conversion. Seems like it is around 1.23 x the euro price to get US Dollars. Perhaps they do have a conversion built in, I never bothered looking for it. Shipping is around 30 euros up to a certain weight, then increases to around 50 euros. Not aware of any customs charges at our end but I suppose that could happen if Customs paid attention to the shipment and applied them. I've ordered quite a bit from offshore and have not had that happen to date. Knock on wood.
If you decide to order from Estervals, create an account and log in when looking for HU blends. When you log in, it will show you the discounted prices. Pricing is quite attractive for HU blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.