PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
I was ruminating on the flavor of the Director's Cut I purchased from Esterval's in 2016. I share with many of you, regret on the passing, albeit too brief of a truly unique tobacco.

Earthy, mellow and unique are merely words- vague and imprecise and don't do it justice. And I'm not equal to the task of constructing an adequate review as others have done.

I recall thinking, "How can this blender do something so completely dissimilar to other's efforts? So delicious." One cool September morning, I had the good fortune of reaching in to find, in a coat pocket, a pouch of about 2 ounces and thought myself wealthy indeed.- a king for 10 minutes!

The blender uses tobacco from the same market as, say C&D or K&K? It settled my mind to think that it must be a unique casing formula along with prudent pairings of aged Virginias and perique. I believe I read somewhere that he used unusual ingredients in his casings. Like celery juice or sarsaparilla or some such.

I read comments about the "new" DC falling short with chagrin. I decided to hold off on assembling another purchase "until things settled". However, I understand about the verities of a changing tobacco market and a changing world. Tide and time, as they often say- waits for no man. Such a plaintive lament. But still...

At the time, I viewed it as a rash act- my cavalier spending well over $500 on German tobacco in a single purchase. Now, having smoked my way through all of it, I wish I had spent $2K. In truth, I probably cannot picture being so extravagant again in the foreseeable future.

Therefore, I'd like to begin a thread: Do you have any thoughts on his choice of tobaccos and casing in Director's Cut? For I will never taste it again and will truly miss that fine tobacco. Although it would be nigh impossible to replicate, even for someone of blending competence. Which I have not. Still, it is of interest to me to at some point, attempt an interesting case for my humble, homely homegrown.

Likewise with Peretti's BPC- with I have cellared over ten lbs, having learnt my lesson. If you feel so inclined, I am curious about any remarks you care to offer on casings and such. But that's a question for another day.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The blend of Virginias that Hans used at that time was rich, round and beautifully balanced. My impression was that the same base, or something very similar, was also used in 5th Anniversary, and Edward G.

Different blenders get their tobaccos from different sources and Hans was using K&K as his manufacturer, whether they were also his exclusive source is another matter. The tobacco industry is notoriously close mouthed and evasive about their ingredients in general, unless there's money to be made in revealing a source. What is clear is that Hans is a far more inventive blender than anyone else currently working, so he would experiment with unusual flavorings, like using a touch of balsamic vinegar to the base blend of 5th Anniversary in a manner that made everything in that blend just pop.

It's true that K&K diluted the Perique in Directors Cut without telling Hans and when they were caught, partially reverted back. it's still not what it was. The good news is that the Directors Cut I bought in 2019, which was loaded with DFK in place of Perique, has mellowed and the DFK no longer drowns out everything else. The result isn't bad. Still not Directors Cut, but not bad. I have no idea of the current state of the Virginias used in the base as I no longer buy tobacco. It was changed in 2019, and some really dead tasting dried stringy hard leaf had appeared in the mix. That same leaf has recently appeared in Esoterica blends as well.
Hans it still creating new blends with what is available to him and if anyone is going to have an interesting take it's going to be Hans. So maybe try some of the new stuff and look for new magic?

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I bought 4 tins of DC from 2013 a while back from a forum member and smoked one of the tins recently, it was amazing. Saving the other 3 for the future.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
It's true that K&K diluted the Perique in Directors Cut without telling Hans and when they were caught, partially reverted back. it's still not what it was.
This is interesting to me because K&K uses Perique in many blends and I was not aware that there was any shortage of Perique, at least at the large houses that buy from St James Parish.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
This is interesting to me because K&K uses Perique in many blends and I was not aware that there was any shortage of Perique, at least at the large houses that buy from St James Parish.
Not necessarily shortage, but cost. Dark Fired Kentucky can cost 1/3-1/2 less than St James Perique, so if you sell the altered blend for the same price there's some sneaky profit to be made.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
In a blend like Solani 633 or similar VaPer the dark fired would be instantly detectable. So far in the blends I smoke I haven't come across it. However they could be reducing the amount of Perique. And we know they have varied the mix of red and orange Virginias.

Reactions: JimInks

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Certainly, I've enjoyed my fair share of HU blends so I don't wish to diminish their luster - but - it does seem like blends get better once they are discontinued or altered.

• Haha
Reactions: karam