PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying some new ones that I ordered this time.

Does anyone know how well these paint can style tins fare for long term storage?
Probably just as reliable as any circular 50g tin. The only style I ever hear any issues about are the square tins, of Capstan and the like. For long term storage, lots of guys will simply seal a bunch of these in mylar, just as a fail-safe.

Edit: I also have a couple C&D tins (Bijou and Canal Boat, for the record) which are bulging, but I've heard that this is normal for C&D. Not sure what's the Diehl. (sorry, couldn't resist :LOL:)

• Haha
Reactions: SBC and Ebarber

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying some new ones that I ordered this time.

Does anyone know how well these paint can style tins fare for long term storage?
After three or four years, you'll lose some topping. Those tins weren't meant to hold moisture in forever. They are not vacuum sealed. If you plan on long term cellaring, jar the tobacco.

I've a few that held up, and some that did not. No sense in taking chances in my opinion.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
A mighty haul!

I’ve had good luck with using the paint cans to smoke out of occasionally over several months with no discernable loss in quality. Long term (years) I’d jar the tobacco.

Reactions: Ebarber

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
After three or four years, you'll lose some topping. Those tins weren't meant to hold moisture in forever. They are not vacuum sealed. If you plan on long term cellaring, jar the tobacco.

I've a few that held up, and some that did not. No sense in taking chances in my opinion.
A mighty haul!

I’ve had good luck with using the paint cans to smoke out of occasionally over several months with no discernable loss in quality. Long term (years) I’d jar the tobacco.

Thanks guys. In a jar they will go then. If I can stay out of them ?

Reactions: JimInks

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I honestly miss getting big hauls in the mail, they were always exciting, then a week goes by and your due for another hit of dopamine. Nice haul man, that kilo of DC looks beautiful. Isn’t there rumors that it’s been tweaked back to the original specs?

Reactions: Jwebb90

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
So is Directors Cut back to the old recipe or what? That's a nice looking brick.