PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Fo0zle

Lurker
Jan 22, 2023
Western N.C.
Hi everyone!

Glad to be here.

I’ve recently returned to pipe smoking after 10 years or so. I picked it up right around the time I came of age, and had a lot of frustration with tongue bite, bad blends, crappy pipes, you name it.

I did a ton of research and eventually ended up finding some enjoyment in it after I bought some McClelland Frog Morton “On The Town”. (Sorry if I’ve brought up a sore subject as I understand McClelland has ceased production 😔 )

At the time I was unable to afford a decent pipe, and ongoing issues w/ my pipe made me give up the hobby altogether.

I did a lot of partying in college and obviously smoking goes along with drinking so I tried rolling my own cigarettes and found that made me feel horrible, so I switched to vaping. That’s been my go-to for quite a while, but obviously it’s horrible for your health.

I’m an adult now with a house, a career, a wife and a daughter. That of course means leaving behind my partying days. I still enjoy a drink or two in the evening, so I’ve returned to pipe smoking as a way to enjoy a less addictive and less frequent smoke.

It’s been great so far!

I bought a halfway decent pipe (a Brigham), and several English blends to try and replicate my experience with Frog Morton On The Town. I haven’t quite nailed it yet, but I’m really loving Presbyterian Mixture.

I think it’s almost perfect, but I wish it was just slightly lighter and sweeter. Maybe you all can recommend something.

I’ve got a Savinelli Dolomiti 106 on order that’s supposed to arrive tomorrow. I’m super excited to get it broken in.

I previously ordered a Bing’s Favorite because I’m a big Bing Crosby fan, but the stem tenon broke off inside the pipe the first time I tried to take it apart to remove the filter…. Damn shame, because it was a beautiful pipe. Just too flimsy I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, like I said I’m glad to be here! Excited to keep learning.

Cheers!

Fo0zle

Lurker
Jan 22, 2023
Western N.C.
Welcome from…….Western North Carolina. If you’re ever in Asheville check out B&B on Merrimon Ave. They’ve got some pipes and pipe tobacco.
Small world!

Been meaning to hit up B&B. I live like 30 minutes away. I lived across from B&B for several years when I wasn’t pipe smoking.

I’m a bit reluctant to shop in brick and mortar stores because I’ve almost exclusively been ripped off thus far. At least a 30% markup on tinned tobacco and I found out after the fact that the pipe I bought recently was available for less than half the price online…

I’m willing to pay slightly more to support local shops but that just seems excessive to me 😅

Reactions: FurCoat

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
Welcome from California!

B&M’s definitely charge a markup but I try to stop by mine once a week or so for pipe cleaners, lighters, etc. They were pretty stocked up on Esoterica and Samuel Gawith, so they do come in handy in that respect.

Reactions: FurCoat and Fo0zle

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Thanks Ray!

I’m going to be in Pigeon Forge in a couple weeks. Any good pipe shops out that way? Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg? Seems like there would be…
I think there are one or two tobacco shops in Gatlinburg. Check the sponsors/advertisers for PipesMagazine. It has been ages (truly ages) since I have been in Gatlinburg, so it is only from what I saw when I was trying to find tobacconists in Knoxville. Please feed back on what you find ... may get up there sometime in the Spring.

Reactions: FurCoat