PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chris Thile the mandolin player is the son of the pipe maker Thile. Chris was home schooled as I recall.

Reactions: sgarrity

sgarrity

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
San Diego
Chris Thile the mandolin player is the son of the pipe maker Thile. Chris was home schooled as I recall.
You are correct. Chris grew up here in Carlsbad. I've followed his career for 20+ years and seen him play more times than I can count. Just an amazing musician. And when I discovered his dad made pipes....it was a natural fit. Even better that Scott is a super nice guy and his pipes are exceptional!

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Awesome, welcome to the forums from Orange County. Always nice to meet a fellow Southern California pipe smoker.

Do you ever go to Liberty Tobacco to smoke a cigar or pipe?

sgarrity

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
San Diego
Awesome, welcome to the forums from Orange County. Always nice to meet a fellow Southern California pipe smoker.

Do you ever go to Liberty Tobacco to smoke a cigar or pipe?
Was in there last week to buy a few cigars and met the former president of the pipe club. He told me they meet there on Sunday afternoons. need to try and make it one of these weekends.

Reactions: americaman

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Was in there last week to buy a few cigars and met the former president of the pipe club. He told me they meet there on Sunday afternoons. need to try and make it one of these weekends.
Awesome. Indeed. I should make it out there for one of their meets. Do they have an Instagram?

My Instagram is @pointvicentepipeclub. It’s a South Bay LA pipe club started by @lyon0op and I post on the Instagram.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome from northern Illinois. I've never been to San Diego, but I hear San Diego has the best weather...not like here where we woke up to an inch of snow on April 18th. We've got to move.

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
Welcome from central Texas! Wine, pipes, and mandolins are among my favorite things, too. Is that a Gilchrist in your profile photo?? Wowza!

C.Rorrer

DSC_8744_BW copy.jpg

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

sgarrity

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
San Diego
Awesome. Indeed. I should make it out there for one of their meets. Do they have an Instagram?

My Instagram is @pointvicentepipeclub. It’s a South Bay LA pipe club started by @lyon0op and I post on the Instagram.
I followed your Instagram. They are on Facebook at Sandiegopipeclub. My weekends are usually fairly busy but am going to try and make one of their Sunday meetings in the next few months.

Reactions: americaman

sgarrity

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
San Diego
Welcome from central Texas! Wine, pipes, and mandolins are among my favorite things, too. Is that a Gilchrist in your profile photo?? Wowza!

C.Rorrer

View attachment 140887

Wow, there's two of us on the planet! LOL. Good eye catching the Gil. I've had 2 of them. Moved them both along but I love that pic. Sticking with my Heiden A5 and Kimble F5. Leaves more money for pipes....?puffy

What are you playing?

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
Wow, there's two of us on the planet! LOL. Good eye catching the Gil. I've had 2 of them. Moved them both along but I love that pic. Sticking with my Heiden A5 and Kimble F5. Leaves more money for pipes....?puffy

What are you playing?

Crazy, right? Now if you happen to be into old BMW Airhead motorcycles as well I'll think we might be twins separated at birth.

I've been through a couple dozen mandolins over the past 25 years or so, mostly vintage instruments acquired on a bit of a catch-and-release policy. Nothing nearly as high-end as a Gil. I've tried hard not to become a collector.

I've settled on a 1915 F-4 that's just a sweetheart. I sold a wonderful Boots Imperial archtop guitar inspired mandolin a few years back that I regret sorely ... if I ever see it again I'm snapping it up. :)

Now that I think about it, I think I recognize your handle from the mandolincafe. I've been there a long time but am not especially active.

At any rate, cheers and welcome!

C.Rorrer

Status
Not open for further replies.