PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm thinking it should be simple, just a matter of knowing the best glue to use. This is a Moretti I hadn't smoked in over a year. I know Mr. Moretti would repair it if I sent it back but I don't want to ship it to Italy if I can easily fix it myself.

Reactions: danimalia

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Hyde glue won't hold up -- as you see -- because of the heat. I'd be inclined to use something that's a gel that is catalyzed. I'd pick a gel because, once you clean both surfaces, you'll have space that needs to be filled with something. I'd use a catalyzed glue because the joint has to withstand the stress of pulling the stem out of the pipe. On the one hand, you don't want something that permanent glued into the stummel, on the other, you have a tough physical location to deal with.

You could, of course, resort to hide glue and face this situation again, some time in the future.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
How Would You Repair This?

I would probably use Gorilla Glue. I'm not sure if it's the correct way, but that is what I would use.

From the website:
PRODUCT FEATURES
  • CRYSTAL CLEAR
  • NON-FOAMING
  • WATER RESISTANT
  • INCREDIBLY STRONG
  • EASY TO USE
  • BONDS VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING: Wood, Stone, Metal, Ceramic, Foam, Glass & More

Reactions: danimalia

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Since it was convenient at the time, I stopped at an Auto Parts store and ended up buying a package of J-B PlasticWeld. Looks like it is a reasonably quick setting 2 part epoxy. I'll give it a try and hope that it works. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Probably the best choice, IMHO. Be careful not to let it set-up anywhere that you don't want it. It is tough stuff -- we use it on firearms occasionally and it lasts forever, it seems.

Reactions: diamondback

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Epoxy is, and was the correct type of adhesive to use. I'm a pipe maker, and I use 2 part epoxy exclusively, for gluing stem pieces together. My preference is the clear resin and activator, that takes 24 hours to cure. It forms a permanent bond, stronger than the material that is being glued. Always clean both sides with 91% isopropyl alcohol first.

Status
Not open for further replies.