PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
One of my pipes doesn't have any marking at all on the stem & I believe I see a slightly flusher fit with the stem one way round (a very slightly closer fit)

To save all the faffing/second guessing when reassembling after cleaning I was thinking about marking the stem so that I knew which way round I prefer it

How should I mark it without it looking naff (crap) ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I understand what you are trying to do. But why mark it? When I used to compete in bagpipes, I used to put small piece of tape on the chanter and the stock then cut it with a sharp knife where they meet. No damage to the instrument and I can always remove the tape.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Late at night, I don a cap and cowl and fight crime as my alter ego Blaze Jupiter so I would just have a stem stamp made that looks like a flame ?since BJ could be confused with something else. You know what, ignore that. Hehe... I didn't mean that. I'm not him. I'm just a mild mannered milk man. Yeah.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
I understand what you are trying to do. But why mark it? When I used to compete in bagpipes, I used to put small piece of tape on the chanter and the stock then cut it with a sharp knife where they meet. No damage to the instrument and I can always remove the tape.
Bagpipes is a competition? Cue the image of a Monty Python skit...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of my pipes doesn't have any marking at all on the stem & I believe I see a slightly flusher fit with the stem one way round (a very slightly closer fit)

To save all the faffing/second guessing when reassembling after cleaning I was thinking about marking the stem so that I knew which way round I prefer it

How should I mark it without it looking naff (crap) ?

I always twist the stem when inserting. If it's a stem that can look all right either way, I leave. If it needs 180º I just continue the rotation. YMMV. Most of my stems are bent to some degree, so those are obvious.

Reactions: chopper and kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Late at night, I don a cap and cowl and fight crime as my alter ego Blaze Jupiter so I would just have a stem stamp made that looks like a flame ?since BJ could be confused with something else. You know what, ignore that. Hehe... I didn't mean that. I'm not him. I'm just a mild mannered milk man. Yeah.
Too many references to flame, BJ, man and milk in one paragraph ........sir:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Kozeman and BROBS