How Would You Build Your Cellar: A Timing Question?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Unfortunately my cigarettes budget is still $300 a month. Any PAD,TAD and Cigar acquisition is over and above that. That somewhat limits my ability to build a larger cellar.
Understand completely though I only go through 2-3 packs/week.

Reactions: cshubhra

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
Forcing it has never worked, but I am sure it will gradually go down. I have gone down from 22/23 a day to 16/17 a day. I also try to avoid inhaling cigarettes, which works sometimes. Also, recently the stubs are growing longer - ie I smoke 2/3 instead of a full one.

I really recommend you check out Swedish snus. Snuscentral.com has a wide variety. The shipping to the US is steep, so you have to order in bulk to make it worth it, but it's much better for your health, and should end up cheaper than cigarettes by a decent margin. If you like straight tobacco flavors, check out Ettan and Grov. Grov has a strong (stark) portion that you might enjoy, too.

Highly, highly recommend snus. The nic hit doesn't feel quite the same, but it is enough to be satisfying. If you need a super quick nic hit, try some snuff. MrSnuff.com has the best selection, and there's plenty of high nic snuffs out there to help get that fix quickly.

Reactions: seanv

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I haven't really had the money to cellar deeply since returning to piping (especially with my first child on the way), but with a potential ban around the corner, I'm feeling the heat. Even if this one doesn't go through, I am truly seeing the writing on the wall for the first time. I knew prices would creep up, but I didn't think they'd ban online sales for a long, long time.

I wish I had the money to cellar anything and everything. I remember when Penzance was easy to find when I first started piping (didn't like it then or now, but still). Then I fell in love with FVF and a bunch of McC blends before quitting for a few years, only to return and discover FVF is nearly impossible to find now, and McC is extinct.

My goal now is to cellar as many pounds of bulk as the budget and my wife allows. I can only smoke about once a week now, but I expect in the next 10-15 years I can have the 3-5 pipes a day I desire, so I'm trying to figure out how much I need. I should have at least 30 years of piping left in me by the time I can smoke as often as I please, so I'll need a fair bit.

I live within an hour of Wilke and Peretti's, so if online sales are banned, I could hopefully turn to them. I have a feeling a big chunk of their sales are online, though. They may not be able to stay afloat long term. I also hate driving into Boston, so I hope that doesn't have to become a semi-regular thing.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
My modest 15.5 lb cellar was built rather quickly but with large amounts of a small number of blends. My cellar is wide with a few single tins of something I wanted to try but still haven’t opened. If I had to do it again I think that I would do it similar but purchase from more sources

Tins, I would pick up on sales, or just pay full price if it is something new. But, $300 a month can get you about 8 pounds a month of bulk.
For jars, I would check obituaries for people in my area that I knew canned, and offer to buy jars. I only got the pints and passed on the quarts to friends or use them for sauces. Most of the time the family would give them to me. This is a common practice in the country.

But after so many years, plus my own harvest which is usually a meager 12 pounds a year, it adds up. I know that I have already smoked more that 200 pounds already.

When asked for pictures, I always wonder how convincing it is to see stacks of boxes. My wife jokes that this will be the fuel for my funeral pyre.

I truly feel sorry for those just now starting the pipe without a B&M close by. But, it is what it is. We have been preaching the cellar deep and wide for years now. The warnings have been out there.

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I am not planning to consume any other kind of tobacco other than pipes, cigars and cigarettes (which I am reducing and will eventually give up). Also, I do think importing Snus is illegal (At least what I understand from reading Wikipedia)
I really recommend you check out Swedish snus. Snuscentral.com has a wide variety. The shipping to the US is steep, so you have to order in bulk to make it worth it, but it's much better for your health, and should end up cheaper than cigarettes by a decent margin. If you like straight tobacco flavors, check out Ettan and Grov. Grov has a strong (stark) portion that you might enjoy, too.

Highly, highly recommend snus. The nic hit doesn't feel quite the same, but it is enough to be satisfying. If you need a super quick nic hit, try some snuff. MrSnuff.com has the best selection, and there's plenty of high nic snuffs out there to help get that fix quickly.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
I put the bulk of my 160 pounds up in 2011-2012 when the FDA threat was very real. We got a reprieve of sorts, but in the meantime:

1. McClelland is gone
  2. You can no longer get tobacco shipped to the States from Denmark
  3. the FDA threat is as real as it's ever been
  4. indifferent of politics, I think we can all agree that it is likely our next Federal government is going to be a majority of the party it hasn't been the last 4 years. That party, good bad or indifferent, is unlikely to set aside tobacco regulation

so same as it was a decade ago, cellar now before it's too late

Reactions: cshubhra and seanv
Status
Not open for further replies.