PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

klrfegen

Lurker
Oct 1, 2016
South Africa
Hi guys,

Been smoking a pipe for just under 8 months now. I love it and been a total non smoker and a gym boy it came as a bit of a surprise to the family but I really find it relaxing and I'm fascinated by all the various tobaccos out there.
I am currently only really smoking Peterson brands, the ones that come in a nice small tin and because I'm not a big smoker mainly smoke as a hobby my question is: Once I open the tin, which is usually sealed air tight, what is the best way to store or keep my tobacco. Can I just open the tin, use what I need for that day and then just close it and come back to it later down the line?
Thanks guys

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome klrfegen. I totally agree with dottie. If you are going to smoke from the tin in a week or two, then it'll be ok. For a long term storage you have to keep the tobacco in a sealed jar. At least keep the tin in a ziploc bag, however keep in mind that it won't prevent the tobacco from drying.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
In the mean time, seal the open tins with a piece of wax paper in between the lid and the tin. This can work for six months or more. Whether you jar or not, the more you open/close, the more

likely the tobacco will be drier. Drier isn't bad as long as it doesn't get crunchy.

Mike S.

klrfegen

Lurker
Oct 1, 2016
South Africa
Okay great stuff. So avoid crunchy. Awesome stuff. I quickly popped out and picked up some jars that seal tight, now need to hurry home and transfer the tobacco into them.
Appreciate the help guys. Well done and thanks

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome to the forum, also don't forget to put some type of label on the jar. Nothing worse than opening a jar that is full of a fantastic blend and having no idea what it is!

klrfegen

Lurker
Oct 1, 2016
South Africa
DFD - I wrote with a permanent marker the name of the type of tobacco. But your point is very valid ando thank you. They all sealed up and jarred, ready for later.
Appreciate all the positive feedback guys. Well done.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If you keep exploring, you may end up with jars that you just aren't getting to. Date them so you have an idea of when you jarred them. It helps.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Welcome aboard
If you smoke through the tin in a week or so, it'll be fine, otherwise jar it as soon as tin is opened
seal the open tins with a piece of wax paper in between the lid and the tin
+1, I usually smoke an open tin in a week or two, I use parchment paper but wax paper is as good

klrfegen

Lurker
Oct 1, 2016
South Africa
If I seal the jar with the wax paper how long should the tobacco hold? Seems I need to seriously start puffing as I've been playing around with a lot of tobacco trying to find out what just like.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Seems I need to seriously start puffing as I've been playing around with a lot of tobacco trying to find out what just like.
Once jarred it is usually good for years to come; I've had tobacco in jars for over 2 years without any drying.
Smoke as you please, but I think we all know that feeling of wanting to smoke it all at once!
There is no hurry, enjoy.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been playing around with a lot of tobacco trying to find out what just like.
Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you have a touch of TAD (Tobacco acquisition disorder). Pretty soon you'll have 40 mason jars with tobacco's you've sampled.

Status
Not open for further replies.