PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

So I’ve been reading that it is best to store tobacco in a jar. That’s great for when I buy loose tobacco from a store in a zip lock, but what if I buy it in a tin and want to keep it in the tin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
^^^ same. Some are skeptical of letting tins go too long (like more than 5 years) but I’ve had hundreds and only had two pop ever, and one was brand new and showed up popped, so.....

Some say square shaped tins are particularly vulnerable as well, but 5 years or less should be fine. If you’re paranoid open them and jar them but the tins will probably be fine for a decade or two.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
That’s true. But another question. What if you stored the tins in Tupperware? I like the idea of the tin, especially if I might sell or trade them later. But I might want to crack them open and smell them first since I don’t know what I like yet. ?

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
That’s true. But another question. What if you stored the tins in Tupperware? I like the idea of the tin, especially if I might sell or trade them later. But I might want to crack them open and smell them first since I don’t know what I like yet. ?

You would have far better luck selling tobacco in a jar than tobacco in an opened tin. I dunno the buy/sell/trade forum here and whats acceptable but typically the rule of thumb in places I've been is if its open its done unless its a long time pipe club member. Also, you are not going to know if you really like a tobacco or not until you smoke a whole tin. You will also find that sometimes you need to age the tobacco a year before you like it.

I understand I'm not giving the answer you want, but ball jars are the way to go.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
You would have far better luck selling tobacco in a jar than tobacco in an opened tin. I dunno the buy/sell/trade forum here and whats acceptable but typically the rule of thumb in places I've been is if its open its done unless its a long time pipe club member. Also, you are not going to know if you really like a tobacco or not until you smoke a whole tin. You will also find that sometimes you need to age the tobacco a year before you like it.

I understand I'm not giving the answer you want, but ball jars are the way to go.

No I appreciate the advice and insight. Seriously. Thanks.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
If you want to keep the baccy in the opened tin 3M aluminum tape works very well. I had kept baccy still moist for more than 3 years now. Keeping in the tin I find saving space, and makes easier to find what you need later on.
For all the bulk however jar is the only way to go and it is the mainly storage for the plugs and ropes I love so much.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Hard to avoid wrinkles with metal tape. Maybe it doesn't matter, just seems like leaks could occur.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.