PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hey guys, I’ve been smoking for quite some time now and have been wanting to add some sort of drive and purpose to my collection. I was wondering if anyone could share advice and photos of their collections. I think it would be nice to start collecting some sort of like limited runs/holiday editions/year editions. I haven’t had much success trying to find these kinds of things from any brands other than like Peterson and would like to kind of know what all else is out there. Thanks guys I appreciate, looking forward to seeing what all everyone here collects!

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
If nothing has caught your attention - no company, no carver, no era, no story, no shape, color, or finish - just keep putting yourself in the path of pipes and excited pipe people until something does.
You should know, however, that being a passionate collector is not inherent to enjoying a bowl of fine tobacco. It can add to the experience for some, but I don't have whatever that drive is for pipes or anything else in this world and I still manage to smoke well.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I bought a few of the shapes I was drawn to in Savinellis and Petersons (good smokers that aren't too pricey) until I found the shapes I really liked. I have a few other makers (nording, rattrays, neerup, kaywoodie) sprinkled in there as well.
After smoking a bunch of them over time I identified shapes I seemed to prefer more than others. Since then I have been periodically investing in some higher end stuff in only my most favorite shapes, and I'll stick with the Savinelli's and Peterson's in the others, as they are perfectly good smoking pipes.
So far my higher end collection includes:
Ashton Pebble Grain Straight Dublin
ashton.jpg

Castello Collection Shape 26 KKK (an estate find)
castello-26-2.jpg

Savinelli Spigot Sterling 315 KS (1 each of Bordeaux and Natural, found super on sale)
savinelli-spigot-600x303.jpg

Vauen Auenland Eron Churchwarden
vauen-pic-600x597.jpg

On the way: Castell0 Sea Rock Briar Shape 55 KKKK (Purchased from Italy).
castello-55-439x600.jpg

castello-55-3-439x600.jpg

Next on the list is a good Canadian, but I'm trying to limit myself to one per month. I'll just say trying and succeeding are two different things :D

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There shouldn't be any 'rush' or urgency to build a collection. The pipes that I have in mine are there because I like some aspect of them. I don't buy pipes just to fill the rack.
Be patient and the pipes will find you.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
What Mike said.

My collection is small. For me, the number one reason to buy a pipe is because the pipe spoke to me. Not sure I can even identify what specifically draws me to a pipe, but every now and then, I see a pipe and it just seems right. Beyond that, for me, I have intentionally not focused on any particular brand, shape, or region. I have an American made pipe, several Italian pipes (Savinelli as well as smaller makers), several British pipes, and several Peterson's. So far, no Danish pipes. All of my pipes are smooth classic shapes, so I guess maybe that is my focus, if you will.
As far as being a true "Collector", there was a thread in the last couple weeks that talked about this -- trying to collect every variation of a particular brand in a specific shape, or every shape of a particular issue, etc. My guess is the population of this type of collector is rather small.
I think most of us just like our pipes and lack the self-control to say no to the next pipe that calls our name.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I don't have a pic of my collection but I "collect" larger Upshall billiards, Dunhill 6103 billiards and 6101's apples and their equivalents in ODA. The rest of my pipes are just pipes I liked but I didn't seek them out. I just found them on my travels through the pipe lands. I smoke them all.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I am super partial to billiards and I feel like this will be an eye opening experience, coercing me to buy/try pipes I may have never desired or thought to on my own. I’ve kind of already started forging my way and purchased a bulldog. Not because I’ve ever wanted a bulldog shaped pipe, but because of its significance. Here we are with me having a perfect excuse to try a bulldog out now :D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After a few decades and a lot of culling, these are some of the pipes I have left after I quit buying.
20180831_1535091.jpg

20180620_235224.jpg

20180224_002736.jpg

__1-3.jpeg

aMwRdSy.jpg

004-001-15775.8500.jpg

Just make sure you find the pipes you are collecting aesthetically pleasing to you. It can mean the difference between a favored smoker and drawer filler.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I also buy pipes that speak to me. It doesn’t happen too often anymore but when it does I am unable to control myself. I was only interested in smooth pipes until a certain classic Brigham changed my ways. Now I don’t discriminate. The weirdest pipe I have is a Stanwell and it goes against all that I thought I liked about pipes. I held it and knew I had to have it, it is now one of my top smokers. Good luck on your journey, it will be frustrating but rewarding.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Like folks are saying, it's personal and all about what you do and don't like. Unfortunately I sometimes don't figure out what I don't like until I've already bought it. I like to keep mine different from each other. I like straight pipes as much as bent pipes, and bigger pipes more than smaller pipes. I try to avoid accumulating pipes that are nearly the same to each other. You can probably figure out some basic preferences about shapes and sizes with inexpensive cobs. Mine is still evolving - probably going to sell the 2 Moretti mortas, the Peterson (center bottom), the mastro de paja (3rd col to right 2 up from bottom, the L'Anatra (top center). Don't really care for cobs, I may sell them all in a single bundle (did the same a year ago and somehow accumulated these yet again).

JJJ95RT.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
these are some of the pipes I have left after I quit buying
That last one is absolutely insane. I love how the briar grain twists up the volcano from that big wide base. That really accentuates the shape. Very cool looking pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That last one is absolutely insane. I love how the briar grain twists up the volcano from that big wide base.
That's a Preben Holm Hallmark that my wife got for me back in Spring. It appears on Holm's Pipedia page and as unsmoked as it was when it arrived in its original box and signed sock, I can't bring myself to smoke it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@AlaskanPiper, congrats on Your new acquisitions, I also have two of those newer Craig era Ashtons, they do smoke fine are seem to be dependable well made pipes with the exception of stem button shaping,the detail which I couldn't stand,so eventually I had to modify those parts,how bout You with Your Ashton,don't You find buttons shaping may leave something to be desired with Ashton?Best Greets, Paul

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
how bout You with Your Ashton,don't You find buttons shaping may leave something to be desired with Ashton?
I love it so far. I have only smoked Balkan Sobranie out of it as of yet, but it's smoking great with that blend. I don't mind the stem button at all, it felt a little huge at first, but if you clench hanger style, it works great and you kind of just get used to it. I can see how it would annoy some people though, it's size sort of makes the pipe feel a bit "locked in" behind your teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.