PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm looking at an estate pipe and I'm thinking how I would go about dealing with the finish.

I can seem to post a picture of it, but let me try to describe it. It looks like the bowl has a very thin varnish/clear layer on it, and on the right side of the bowl it has come off. Whether it was wear or not I can't say.

I'm not sure whether the mineral oil and wax treatment will work on a pipe with a finish like that on it.

Any pointers or advice?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I'm looking at an estate pipe and I'm thinking how I would go about dealing with the finish.

I can seem to post a picture of it, but let me try to describe it. It looks like the bowl has a very thin varnish/clear layer on it, and on the right side of the bowl it has come off. Whether it was wear or not I can't say.

I'm not sure whether the mineral oil and wax treatment will work on a pipe with a finish like that on it.

Any pointers or advice?
I have a Savinelli that’s done this. I am planning on just waxing over it with the buffing wheel because I like a smooth shine, and a little color discrepancy won’t bother me if that occurs. If you’re looking to make it look correct, I’d recommend stripping off the gloss coat and then waxing it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From your description, the thin layer of varnish, I'd consider sanding it down and letting it color like an unfinished pipe. You might find some pits and fills under there, and if they were too bothersome, you could do some rustication, but I doubt the problem will be that bad. I'm surprised to hear this occurred on a Savinelli, lightmyfire; I've have quite a few going back years and finishing has always been solid. I guess it was one of those Friday afternoon pipes. Someone rushed the job.

Reactions: bnichols23

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rossi finish bubbling off the rim? Oh no. Come on, guys and gals at the factory, give it a little love. My Rossi like my Sav are work horses. No bubbly peel. That's sad to hear. It could put a newbie right off his pipe.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Maybe these before and after pics could be helpful. This pipe was covered unevenly in some sort of lacquer or varnish. I was able to get almost all of it off with acetone and elbow grease. (Thanks to embers for the heads-up on acetone!)

bbb lacquer.jpg

BBB virgin.jpg

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.