PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustinus

Lurker
Jun 20, 2013
Emerson, NJ
Greetings to all:

I have returned to pipe smoking after a 3-year sabbatical. I recently purchased new Peterson pipes and, for whatever reason, after a month's return. I'm scorching the bowls. I've read why this phenomenon is occurring. My question is, how do I repair slightly scorched inside and top of the bowl? I probably should be using stick matches rather than lighters? I'm very upset that I've done this. I think I'm too aggressive in my puffing and packing too tight. I'm so happy to be back, though, and my wife is not breaking my chops either.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos would help a lot, but the inside of the bowl (chamber) should be "scorched"-the start of cake. The rim can be cleaned with a rag, fingers, scouring pad, and some elbow grease.

Any heat source can be used with care. Distance from the briar, time ignited, and positioning make for a good light, and will account for differences in BTUs.

Reactions: seanv

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Keeping the tobacco tamped down so that doesn't happen is almost impossible to do 100%. Loading less tobacco seems to help more than anything. Also, putting 'chapstick' on the rim before lighting up helps. But, if burning leaf springs up to that height, charring will happen.

The good news is, pipes are made to smoke. Discoloration of the pipe is inevitable.

Reactions: BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I probably should be using stick matches rather than lighters?

Yes, that would be a good starting point for addressing the issue. Use matches. They burn much cooler than bic-type lighters. Also, there are "soft flame" lighters that burn cool like matches. You might try one of those if you like lighters.

Reactions: anotherbob

augustinus

Lurker
Jun 20, 2013
Emerson, NJ
Thank you to all for your replies! I feel that I must qualify my statement made in my earlier post. The event that propelled me to make the post was just after lighting up a few days ago, I detected an odor that smelled like burnt popcorn. I then eyeballed the chamber and it's edge and noted the edge had what appeared to be gouging. I then switched to my second new Peterson pipe and carried on. Two days ago I returned to the original "neglected" pipe and noted thick black flakes within the tobacco. This alarmed me, hence the post. I later realized that the flake was caking chipping off of the walls of the chamber.
Lessons learned, don't pack tobacco to tightly, maintain a clean stem and pipe; thereby facilitating an easy draw. I'm using a Zippo pipe lighter, but am laying the lighter directly on to the top of the chamber, again hence the gouging of the chamber rim. Use wooden stick matches.
Any feedback on my observations would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Keep your flame above the chamber and puff gently. The heat will light your tobacco and not singe the rim. If may seem awkward at first but this will work and save your pipes

Reactions: jpmcwjr and paulfg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Also don’t overfill your pipe. The tobacco should not be even with the rim when packed, but below.

Reactions: paulfg

augustinus

Lurker
Jun 20, 2013
Emerson, NJ
Thanks for the replies. BROBS, I've never reamed it. That's not to say it wasn't reamed prior to my purchasing. It is a Peterson JULY 4th 2000 Edition. It was supposed to be new old stock. Hey, it's a comfortable smoking pipe. Hangs well in the mouth. I just have to learn to be more diligent with cleaning, and not have my eyeballs sucked into the sockets when drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.