PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Picked up an old Barling today but it needs some serious work. I have yet to repair a stem with a hole through it, much less a horn stem. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed? IMG-0436.jpgIMG-0437.jpg

Reactions: lightmybriar

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Cleaned up the bowl but still have not found a solution for the stem. I am sure someone is just waiting for the right moment to drop some knowledge on me :) IMG_0456.jpg

Reactions: rushx9
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would cut it, and reshape a button, but I'm not a pipe refurbisher.

Reactions: Jwebb90

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Turns out the pipe is a pre-transition Barling, so if I can salvage the original stem that would be the goal. However, if all else fails this will be the route I go.
The only thing I think that might work then is building it back out with a colormatched epoxy of some kind.

if you cut it off and make a new button you might as well just get a new stem IMO as it won’t be original anyway.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you can get another piece of horn you can grind a bit into powder then mix that with some CA and make a putty. Fill with the putty, let it dry/cure fully, then sand it smooth.

Reactions: Jwebb90 and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That bowl really came back to life. I'd get a Vulcanite stem made, but keep the horn stem for authenticity, carefully labeled and stored.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
If you can get another piece of horn you can grind a bit into powder then mix that with some CA and make a putty. Fill with the putty, let it dry/cure fully, then sand it smooth.
Come to think of it I have deer antler already at my house and that would probably work well. If not, Vermont Freehand carries ox horn slices.

Reactions: rushx9

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
The DIY repair scene will tell you to us CA glue and mix something in with it. Sand and shape and you are gtg.
The purist scene will tell you to spend $100+ on a new stem from a top repair guy.
The average pipe shop will put a new black stem in it for you.

Reactions: rushx9 and Jwebb90
Status
Not open for further replies.