PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohone

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Hey,

So I waxed my meer for the second time, this time dipping it fully in white organic beeswax for a few minutes. After letting it cool, and buffing it with a shirt, I noticed this white wax crust that isn't removing. Namely it's on the teeth and around the mouth.

Why do some parts of the meer show this wax crust? On mine it only seems to be along the ridges. Anyone know how to be rid of it? I can't seem to find any mention of this in any waxing guide.

Attachments

• 20200810_204216.jpg
    20200810_204216.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200810_204233.jpg
    20200810_204233.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 23

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Yes just apply some heat, you can even hold it over a burner on your stove if you don't have a hair dryer

Reactions: paulfg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Like others said, a hairdryer will work, just be careful with the heat as it will scorch the wax.

Why are you waxing it?

Nohone

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020
Like others said, a hairdryer will work, just be careful with the heat as it will scorch the wax.

Why are you waxing it?

I smoke this pipe about 3 times a day for the last 3 months, so I figured that it needed a good waxing. Plus it brought out the color.

Also, the hair drying did not work. I'm starting to think this isn't wax crust, but possibly just apart of the meerschaum? Take a look and tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

• 20200812_142000.jpg
    20200812_142000.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 15

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The dark areas are the rougher or more porous areas of the Meer. It’s just colored unevenly there is no “crust” there. ?
The beeswax does this to rough or unfinished areas of Meer.

Reactions: Nohone

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I thought this thread was by BROBS after he blew a seal
n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I smoke this pipe about 3 times a day for the last 3 months, so I figured that it needed a good waxing. Plus it brought out the color.

Also, the hair drying did not work. I'm starting to think this isn't wax crust, but possibly just apart of the meerschaum? Take a look and tell me what you guys think.
Looks good, but the color brought out after rewaxing will fade with progressive smokes. Here's a claw I used to have that was never waxed after purchase.

20180930_184036.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Looks good, but the color brought out after rewaxing will fade with progressive smokes. Here's a claw I used to have that was never waxed after purchase.

20180930_184036.jpg
Exactly. I‘m not sure what causes it, but I think what happens is when the meerschaum is soaked in wax, it is translucent, and the tar shows through it more easily because of its slight transparency. When you smoke it afterward, that color fades back to white as the ember burns down. If you watch it, you’ll notice it fades back from the top down, even with the height of the ember. I think the heat pushes the wax mostly back out of the meer, and with it goes that translucency that reveals the tar, leaving the pipe looking much the same as it did before waxing it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Exactly. I‘m not sure what causes it, but I think what happens is when the meerschaum is soaked in wax, it is translucent, and the tar shows through it more easily because of its slight transparency. When you smoke it afterward, that color fades back to white as the ember burns down. If you watch it, you’ll notice it fades back from the top down, even with the height of the ember. I think the heat pushes the wax mostly back out of the meer, and with it goes that translucency that reveals the tar, leaving the pipe looking much the same as it did before waxing it.
Bingo. Mine that were never rewaxed retained their color.

Nohone

Lurker
Aug 4, 2020

20180930_184036.jpg

Dude that pipe is beautiful. How long have you been smoking that? What frequency and tobacco did you normally use?

I like claw pipes. May get one myself. Do you happen to know the brand as well?

Also, I'm gathering that there really is no point to waxing. Some guys will be waxing there pipe after every other use, which just seems like a waste of time to me. The only reason why I did mine was because I was smoking the shit out of mine and it would get pretty hot because I was a noob, and I figured I probably destroyed its protective wax sheeth. Is that even possible?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Dude that pipe is beautiful. How long have you been smoking that? What frequency and tobacco did you normally use?
I only had it for about three months and smoked it 2-3 times daily with all varieties of tobacco. It was an AKB, but it fell into disuse and got culled early last Spring. I did pick this little pipe up last month and don't think it will be going anywhere.

20200714_130639.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I only had it for about three months and smoked it 2-3 times daily with all varieties of tobacco. It was an AKB, but it fell into disuse and got culled early last Spring. I did pick this little pipe up last month and don't think it will be going anywhere.

View attachment 39667
Way too big of a pipe for me (I’d clang it into everything), but that is the most anatomically accurate skull I’ve ever seen in meerschaum. Beautifully carved. Most that I’ve seen have been pretty crudely rendered.

Status
Not open for further replies.