PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
i'm a fairly intellegent guy but cannot load butane into a refillable lighter...

WTF :evil:
Edited by Kevin for Capitalization in thread title, and commented below for the rest ...

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i have the same problem lead me to use the somewhat frowned upon zippo for my pipes

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
I have had the same trouble, I seen something on the net about how you need to purge them before filling. I cant remember the site, but if you google it im sure its not hard to find....I hope you find it and it helps.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
The most common problem is that you need to purge your lighters of any fuel or air in them before you fill them.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yep, I hold them right side up and use a push pin on the valve to blow out any extra air. I then flip them over and fill.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Use refined butane, haveing worked in a chemical plant for 31.5yrs gas is not pure the cheaper butane has heavyes in it , doesn"t burn clean, you don"t need to purge your lighter, you need to lower the pressure in it, here"s how you do it, set lighter to lowest flame setting, put lighter in refegerator for about 5 to 8 mins, get butane can , run hot water in sink, set butane can in hot water for a couple mins, building pressure in can, take lighter out of refrigerator, you have lowered the pressure in the lighter, fill, hold for about 15 to 20 secs, wait a couple of mins and do again, lighter will be full The old cajun

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
Thanks Old Cajun that was an awesome tip the pipe lighter may get another chance.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Here I thought it was just me. I have a cheap butane lighter but it works and I like it becuase it doesn't have the thumb-wheel that scratches rims. Sometimes when I attempt to refill it just sprays everywhere and freezes my fingers. Othertimes it fills correctly. It has a small window that lets you view the level inside the tank. It seems like the nozzle of the can has to be perfectly aligned with the port on the lighter to get a good transfer.
I use the Zippo brand with the blue cap.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
My solution to refilling my butane was to make it a paperweight. For lighting my pipe I hit the checkout counter at Walmart and pick up a BIC. Wish all my problems went away so easily.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
When I fill I purge any fuel the lighter has if any and hold the lighter upside down push the butane can in the hole and count 3 seconds remove it wait about 10-20 seconds then repeat a second time.This has always worked for me.The butane I use is made by Vector and is refined 5 times.I also use a old boy lighter.I know the are expensive but it has been a great pipe lighter.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Vector is the only fuel that goes in my Old Boy lighter. Purge and fill, never had an issue.
You want headaches, try filling a Du Pont cigar lighter not using their rip off fuel, that is a pain in the butt.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Dont shake your lighter or the butane either. Go to the Xikkar website they actually have videos showing you how to purge and fill.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
What not to do: Get frustrated and then push so hard that you break fill valve off of your lighter. If that happens, see the post by mjtannen.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Reminder of rule number 9, please ...
Taken from here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-read-before-posting-please-1
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.
You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.
A list of common abbreviations and acronyms may be found at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology. We can add to this list, but if you use new or obscure acronyms, please GUAH (Give Us A Hint).
British-English spelling standards are acceptable as well as American standards.
Perfect grammar is not required. We are simply encouraging everyone to do their best. Allowances will be made for those for whom English is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.