PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I live in south Mississippi where the average humidity is in 80's. Inside the house it averages around 71%. I have a 100 count humidor and even with 6 ea. 60 gram boveda 65% packs the humidor rarely gets below 69, and usually stays around 70, basically room humidity. Removing the Bovedas seems to make no difference.

I like my cigars on the dry side and at this humidity level I find them to be a tad too moist.

Do I just need to buy some lower Bovedas, like 62 or lower? Will they actually remove any humidity from my humidor? The 65's fail to lower the humidity below room level.

Last edited:
Reactions: jvnshr

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Remove the bovedas, you have enough humidity anyway. You may leave your humidor open under direct sunlight for a while, but don't overdo it. Please remove your cigars while doing it, don't leave them under sunlight. Let the humidor dry a little bit, then put your cigars back into it and check the humidity. Another method is keeping humidor in a refrigerator for some time, not too long though. You may also try bringing the temperature down in the room that you are keeping your cigars.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I live in a dry climate and have never had this issue. Boveda are two way but depending on the overall environmental humidity even the 58% 320 size might not be able to stabilize to your desired level.

You could try dry humidity beads and dry them in a low temp oven, rinse repeat. I'm just guessing though.

Reactions: jvnshr
I think humidity is just a tad wetter here, especially this summer with all the rain and a full creek running right by my house. I have the same problem. The Boveda packs are useless. But, I just let the humidor set dry, which makes it ambient room humidity.

Now, I am newer to cigars than pipe tobaccos, but I “think” as long as the humidity of the cigar is equalized with ambient air, it seems to smoke just fine for me. But, I also mostly smoke cigars in the warmer months. I have yet to explore sweet spots in the winter.
Oh, and they suck trying to smoke one on a rainy day for me.

But, if there is a fix and it makes for a better smoke, I’ll try it.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
I also live in a high humidity enviroment in the west indies. I like my cigars at 65% humidity because i smoke them on an 80% or more enviroment. My solution has been with an dehumidifier and an inverter AC to keep them at 75 degrees temp. and 65%.

Reactions: Rockyrepose

falconsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2021
Have you tried a dehumidifier in your house or smoking room yet? It may help. I have lived in Mississippi myself and I feel for ya, I know exactly what your dealing with and hope you find a solution to this problem. Good luck!

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
What about a food dehydrator? They operate at a low enough temperature so as not to cook the cigar, you'd need to experiment to find the right time.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Put a few of the cigars you want to smoke in the next few days in a Tupperware with about a half pound of dry rice. It'll dry your smokes out slowly, so no cracked wrappers, and no weird flavors........
You'll have to experiment a bit, might take 24 hours or it could take 72...........

Reactions: didimauw and Duck

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Im fairly new to cigars. All the research I did pertained to keeping them humidified rather than the opposite. Im glad I didn't go all out in the beginning and buy some fancy humidification equipment. Im still trying to figure out the optimum humidity level but it seems the wetter they are they get bitter and have a poor draw. Kind of like pipe tobacco....

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
From having done three-week stints in Myrtle Beach, SC, in June, Southeasterners live in a humidor. Wanna dry your tobacco out? Move to the central Rockies.

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
I'm no expert, but I've heard about kitty litter being used in humidity control. I wonder if some dry (non-scented) kitty litter in the enclosed space would help.