PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
I'm looking to begin smoking Virginia flake in my Castello shape 55 which I dedicated to English blends around 6 months ago when I first bought the pipe. Will this require anything more than a ream-and-clean?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Depending on how deeply you clean your pipe, it may take two or three smokes after the cleaning before any trace of the Latakia is gone, but that would probably be the extent of it. Just make sure to also thoroughly clean inside the shank as well. Lots of stuff hides in there.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Depending on how deeply you clean your pipe, it may take two or three smokes after the cleaning before any trace of the Latakia is gone, but that would probably be the extent of it. Just make sure to also thoroughly clean inside the shank as well. Lots of stuff hides in there.
Thanks for the assurance! Isopropyl will do for the shank, correct? And I assume the same goes the other way (Virginia to English).

Reactions: lightmybriar

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
a trick I do with salt that isn't as invasive as using alcohol etc is I clean out the bowl and shank with water after reaming, then fill both up with table salt.. let it sit for a day and it draws the ghost into the salt.

I personally don't use any alcohol on briars.. I feel it "seals" the wood or damages the structure.
I do use alcohol on stems etc... 91% ISO.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for the assurance! Isopropyl will do for the shank, correct? And I assume the same goes the other way (Virginia to English).

There are lots of opinions, and most based on experience and facts, so I can’t say as a rule what to do and not do, but many here would tell you that there’s no need for alcohol, as water does just fine.

I personally will use brandy or vodka in pipes that are new to me, but in my own pipe, I just use water. If it is terribly ghosted, coffee grounds, salt, baking soda etc. are all reliable ways to go.

When going from Virginia to English, you usually don’t have to do anything, in my experience.

Reactions: davidsaulmarshall

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
Clean it well. Use some alcohol on the stem and shank. After cleaning the bowl I would out some used coffee grounds in there and leave it for a few days. After that you should be good to go
I tried it with used loose tea leaves since I don't drink coffee. Seemed to work just fine.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I'm looking to begin smoking Virginia flake in my Castello shape 55 which I dedicated to English blends around 6 months ago when I first bought the pipe. Will this require anything more than a ream-and-clean?
Seeing as how I elevate being lazy to new heights. As you were not adverse to the original tobacco if you stuck with it for 6 months, I would just pack it with something new and smoke it until the ghost is exorcised. The only pipe I ever had this did not work for was an ebay pipe that was ghosted with that-which-can't-be-named here.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
First off, many of those Castello Shape 55 have rather large inner diameters which I've found less than ideal for Virginia Flake but ideal for more complex English blends. With that said, I'm agree with the minimal effort recommendations. I'd ream it pretty good as that is easy enough. Load it up then and start smoking the Virginia Flake. Even if it takes 10 bowls to cover up that Latakia Ghost, not a huge deal as long as it isn't that dish soap Lakeland crap.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I personally don't use any alcohol on briars.. I feel it "seals" the wood or damages the structure.
I do use alcohol on stems etc... 91% ISO.

Where do you get that? People have been using alcohol in briars successfully for years. In fact, without alcohol in the briar, I doubt the salt is leaching much from the briar.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve got pipes that I’ve smoked Latakia in that have sat unused for a couple years that don’t smell like anything...

But as was mentioned, Virginia’s usually perform better in a narrower chamber, that’s been my experience as well.

Alcohol/Salt or cotton usually removes any tars/oils that would interfere with the flavors.

Then smoke away. It’ll probably take a couple bowls...

Reactions: davidsaulmarshall

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the suggestions all! Reamed and cleaned the 55 last night and let it rest before I smoked some Carolina Red Flake (2019) out of it today. No ghost at all. It'll be my flake pipe until I pick up something with a chamber more suited to the pressed stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It depends how sensitive your taste buds are. For me, a good standard cleaning would probably do it. A few smokes and it would be good, or maybe right away. But if you really hate any slight afterglow of Latakia, extend the cleaning until you feel comfortable. How much did you smoke the pipe? Less smoking takes less cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.