PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hi,
I just wanted to clarify and help people about the quoting feature.
Our only communication way is written, we might as well do it right to avoid confusions.
Quoting people is great. It helps clarify one's meaning instead of rewriting it or re-explaining it.
So let's get down to business.

First, let's do a little experiment to know our tool. let's all go down to the writing/replying box.

Let's look at the quote button. What is written on it ?
Click ONCE on the quote button. Only ONCE !

What do you see?

2 things:

1. this appeared in the text box

We call this a TAG. In this case, the "quote" TAG. (They are different from the "topic description tags". )
2. the quote button changed: now it's
Now, click again on the quote button.
What do you see?

1. the button went back to its state

2. the close quote TAG appeared in the replying box.
Conclusion: the button is like a switch ... on and off. Every tag has 2 position, on and off. OFF is marked with a slash " / ".

Everything between those 2 tags will be quoted.
There 3 ways of using it.

1. click on the button to open the tag, type what you want, click on the button again to close the tag.

2. Copy the text you want to quote. click on the button to open the tag, paste your text, click on the button the close the tag.

3. Type what you want to quote first. Select it with your mouse. Click ONCE on the button. You'll see that both open and close tags will appear around the text you selected.
Homework:

Reply to this message with a simple quote saying "I got it, thanks, you're awesome, I'll send you a pound of your favourite tobacco." :lol:
I hope this helped. Any question, feel free to ask. Next on our Show ... The "Bold" tag!
:puffpipe:

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I got it, thanks, you're awesome, I'll send you a pound of your favourite tobacco

Cool -- I'll take a pound of 1792 please.

-I think I read that correctly. :lol:

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Homework:

Reply to this message with a simple quote saying "I got it, thanks, you're awesome, now send me a pound of my favourite tobacco." :lol:
Did I do it right. BTW: I found the sarcasm tags

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've never had an issue with the quote function. It's simple to use.
Highlight and copy the text that I want to use.
Paste the text into the reply window.
Select the pasted text, and while still selected, click once on the "quote" button.
You text will have the beginning and end quote tags applied.
Works every time.

Works every time.

Works every time.

Works every time.

Works every time.

Works every time.

Works every time.

Works every time.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
There 3 ways of using it.

1. click on the button to open the tag, type what you want, click on the button again to close the tag.

2. Copy the text you want to quote. click on the button to open the tag, paste your text, click on the button the close the tag.

3. Type what you want to quote first. Select it with your mouse. Click ONCE on the button. You'll see that both open and close tags will appear around the text you selected.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Type what you want to quote first.
Except why type out what you can copy and paste?

Darn! Spacing is huge! On composition, one line is directly under the one above it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
In order to denote a sarcastic tone, please use italics. It will assist in preventing misunderstands and make the world a better place.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Condescension? Is there a style or do we infer it from the tone of the message? I use italics for brand names, titles, stress, etc.
It will assist in preventing misunderstands and make the world a better place.
Is this something we really want to do? (Not a rhetorical question. [Which begs the question: "Is there a style for rhetorical questions also?"])

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Warren, I think it would be seriously helpful in those instances where you suspect someone might not take your words in the way which they were intended. It's not as though italics is doing anything else. We might as well take it out and put it to work :)

cjoonya

Lurker
May 26, 2016
In order to denote a sarcastic tone, please use italics. It will assist in preventing misunderstands and make the world a better place.
Sarcasm is the spice of life.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Interesting argument you are making Nate. Makes sense and I will be watching your progress. I'm not signing on yet though. You know me, always understated and always going with the flow. I should have put that last in italics.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Not taking one's words in the way in which they were intended is a forum rule, and I for one refuse to violate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.