PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stemandbriar

Lurker
Sep 27, 2012
Oak Creek, WI
I have mainly been dealing in briar pipes, and feel a decent understanding on how to price them.
Along the way I have acquired a bunch of meerschaums with no idea on how to grade, or value them.

Obviously, name, carving quality, and condition go into the judgement.
However, it seems when i search values, I see a wide swing of prices with no real differences (other than possibly the manufacture, and the rarity of carving).
I would like to list them, but don't want to post to high, or to low. Is there any good advice, reading material out there, or is this a case by case basis with a trained eye?
I will work to get photos, as I'm sure that will help.
-Jamie

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi Jamie,
If the pipe is signed by a master artisan than you are on a correct way.but this is not enough.you need to look if the pipe has a briar type teflon tenon connection(push/pull) or not.there are just a few company /artisan doing this way.
The grading of block meerschaum and workmanship is another important thing.It is no so easy to understand the grading of block meerschaum.there are many variables.you need to practice in time.
Also look for if the stem is acrylic or not.95% of pipes use polyster/lucite type of stem.
Look for a life-time warranty for meerschaum bowl.
İf you are looking a best quality classic pipes than there are just a few company/artisan: Meerqueen, Imp, Baki
Regards,

Bahadir

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'd love to see photos of what you have, and if opinions matter on this, I'll give an idea of what I've seen them offered for, depending on what you have.
Only Turkish pipes (1960s and forward) are signed; Ismet Bekler was first, followed by a handful of others like Ismail "The Artist" Ozel, and by the early 80s several carvers were signing pipes, but signed pipes are usually the very best work.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
There are by far much better places to shop for a high grade meerschaum than Smokingpipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.