PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkcloud

Lurker
Jun 21, 2013
Hello all,

I just bought tins of Dunhill My Mixture 965 and Standard Mixture. I'm not completely enthralled with the aromatics that I've tried and wonder which of these I should try first.

And

How do you open these things? The lids are on tighter than a June brides...well...you get the idea.

Cordially

DC

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Usually, I just get a dime or my old trusty Swiss Army Knife screwdriver and put it between the top of the lid and the tin and twist.
Sometimes in the old days, the tins had small indentions in the lip or top so you could open with a dime or some other coin.
Again, I use my Swiss Army Knife.

darkcloud

Lurker
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks guys. Twisting wasn't working.

How long can I expect a tin to remain fresh after opening? I only smoke a couple of bowls each week.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
+1 Flathead swiss army screwdriver is perfect for "shicking" open the seal!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I slip my index finger nail under the lip and lift until I hear the hiss of air. Then I simply lift the lid up. You just need to break the vacuum.
I go through a tin in a day or two so I've never given much thought to resealing.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Short term, you could place a piece of cling wrap over the open tin and then put the lid back on that.
Longer term, you could put it in a Mason jar.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Throw it at the ground as hard as you can. It should pop. At least thats what I wanted to do as I was having trouble opening a tin as well the other day.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Thanks, I have a few of these tins and have never popped one either. If you only smoke a few bowls a week transfer it to a mason jar.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
tbradsim1 said:

Flat head screw driver, insert and twist.
Yep, that's the way ... but, there ARE some tins for which a rather broad-blade is needed at which times, I've been known to use a wood chisel to do the twisting and break the vacuum ...

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Stick anything vaguely flat and less than an inch long in it and twist. The vacuum isn't strong, I mean really, it's even easier than opening a can of beans.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've used a coin before. But, I'm not kidding, the fingernail is always handy and you only need to break the vacuum. Chisels? Screwdrivers? Palm on the top, slip your fingernail under the lid below the indentation, a little down pressure with the palm while pulling a bit at the lid and "whoosh." Works on small and large tins, round, square and rectangle.
Learned this years ago when I didn't have a coin.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I'll stick with a screwdriver. Fingernail? That wouldn't work for me, I cut my nails

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Quarter, nickel, 1mm+ guitar pick, whatever's flat and stiff. If it's that hard to open, it's sealed and the leaf is aging which is a good thing... :)

darkcloud

Lurker
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks again for the advice.

Now...which one would you recommend trying for a first time non aromatic bowl full?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Definitely the MM965, just make sure it's not too wet or it will taste bad, you may have to take out a bowl and let it dry for about 30 minutes first. Anything too wet smokes like crap and tastes the same.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
the fingernail is always handy and you only need to break the vacuum
+1 Warren ... it's all about constant, steady and increasing pressure. (like many things ...) 8O
That wouldn't work for me, I cut my nails
I cut my nails very short ... which actually makes them stronger for this purpose.
However, it's not always easy and I can see where some would rather grab an instrument of destruction! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.