How to Maintain Vulcanite Stems Easy and Safe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a quick after-smoke cleaning after the bowl and airway is scooped, pipe cleaner cleaned and clear, and before a brisk buffing with a stiff and then a soft cloth, I like to clean off the bit on Vulcanite pipes with a bristle pipe cleaner to brighten it up. This isn't a strong measure, but keeps the oxidation at bay.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
For a quick after-smoke cleaning after the bowl and airway is scooped, pipe cleaner cleaned and clear, and before a brisk buffing with a stiff and then a soft cloth, I like to clean off the bit on Vulcanite pipes with a bristle pipe cleaner to brighten it up. This isn't a strong measure, but keeps the oxidation at bay.
another good trick is a dry paper towel

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Immediately after each smoke I will thoroughly dry the stem. After the pipe has cooled down a bit, I give it a thin coat of olive oil and that's it. I have no reason to prefer olive over mineral but I do.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Mineral Oil is way cheaper than mineral oil with black die and possibly some UV blockers, and available at your Chemist's, Drug Store, Hardware store, maybe even gas station.

I'd first just rub the stem down with just a drop or two of mineral oil, see how they look. They may pass your inspection. Other more rigorous treatment can then happen if they aren't shiny or black enough for you.

Please post photos!

Food grade mineral oil is cheap... I’ve still got a bottle I bought almost 10 years ago.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Any olive oil will go rancid in time. But on a pipe stem, the handling, cleaning, probably prevents that.

I guess since olive oil is a perishable product that makes sense, but I can tell you it hasn't happened yet to me even though some of those pipes are not handled too much. Maybe I should switch before it does since I already have lots of mineral oil for knife care.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I was wondering if the oxidation process goes on forever or does it ever reach a limit ?

If the green stuff is sulfur and you rub it off then would the sulfur "run out" at some point? Would this have any noticeable effect on the quality of rubber?

Luckily it seems easy to take care of, and I really like vulcanite stems. The plastic feel of acrylic stems doesn't please me.

Status
Not open for further replies.