Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Waterworld-Black-Death-Cigarettes-2.jpg
I remember that brand of cigs.

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
hoosierpipeguy--I like your posts! Really!! Example--I read about your use of mylar bags and ordered a bunch from Amazon--big & little (I should ask if you separate your tobacco tins, cans and bags into aros and non-aros before bagging them in the mylar? I did not and now wonder if should have??) & I love 'em. Back to your post--I agree! I had two tight ones, ordered 8 more and now I've got 8 more tight ones--I kid you not :). Really. They're all tight, almost too tight to open. Course, maybe I just got weak hands/wrists :)
Thanks
mike

I think I've had one tight one ever. That's a really had run of luck. Given that new data, I'd probably go with some 3 in 1 oil. If you have some light grease that doesn't smell too bad, I'd try that. It would last longer. I'd also consider sending the 8 bad ones back. Good luck, I like these pipe tools myself. Cheap but do the trick very well.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Glad to see a thread on this tool. I carry mine always. I only have two. One is unlike the other in that the grommet that holds the assembly together on one is brass, and on the other it's mystery metal.
Guess which one is my favorite?
Ya, the brass grommeted Czech tool arrived some years ago, and it was very tight. It's perfect now. I don't know what happened?
The other one? It rusts, and seems to hold ash on its tamper end more readily than the other and feels less substantial than the brass grommeted one.
I imagine this is another case of knock-off profiteering.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have Czech tools, more refined stainless versions, but the pipe nail has always amazed me with its homely simplicity and efficiency for most purposes. Because they cost so little, they are impossible to lose. They will follow you home from the ends of the earth.

Reactions: BROBS and Reggie

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I hate the Czech tool. If the tamper was centered mayb.
I like the round pipe nails better but I miss the poky thing sometimes--to help I keep a few sm and lg mostly straightened paper clips. I need to get some air into the bowl when I pack it too tight :).

Ok--thanks to all for great ideas! Keep 'em coming. Here's what i just did. A few of these gadgets got 3 in 1 sewing machine oil--works better. A couple got dunked in 30w motor oil--and wiped off to a degree:). No prob--I like the smell of oil, gasoline, paint, etc (Hoppes No 9 is one of my fav's).

One I put in the vise and took a screwdriver and hammer and tried to spread the brass "rivet"--didn't make much difference the way I did it.

I put 3 of 'em in that big ole 200 lbs Wilton C-3 vise -- sideways and cranked down slowly--it loosened 'em up a little. So I figure if a little's good, a lot.... :) Next I bore down on the vise handle more and pop pop, each one I did it too--the same thing happened--the metal circle on spoon gizmo broke into pieces. Now these 3 only have pokers and tampers and spin like a top easy peasy! I love 'em--I don't use the spoon except at the end to dig out the ashes o goo--and I usually have a pipe nail with a spoon end in my pocket also :--))

Thanks to all! What are your thoughts--I won't take offense if you point out I can be a real dumb a sometimes :). I do break my fair share of stuff :))))))))
thnkx
mike

Reactions: BROBS

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
that's why it's called water Defense oh that makes sense.
It stands for water displacement 40th try. Developed for spinning the nosecones for rockets. They are spun by using a forming tool on a high speed lathe. Any moisture present resulted in an explosion, therefor something was needed to displace any moisture on the aluminum blanks prior to forming - hence WD40 (tm) The secret "base" is fish oil. It has minimal lubricating properties but does make a great penetrating oil as well...

Mike D

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2020
It stands for water displacement 40th try. Developed for spinning the nosecones for rockets. They are spun by using a forming tool on a high speed lathe. Any moisture present resulted in an explosion, therefor something was needed to displace any moisture on the aluminum blanks prior to forming - hence WD40 (tm) The secret "base" is fish oil. It has minimal lubricating properties but does make a great penetrating oil as well...
So you're saying the first 39 tries resulted in explosions? ;)

Quinch

Lurker
Jan 3, 2021
Timely. got a couple yesterday, both very tight. drop of chain oil and a couple minutes of working them back and forth, nice and smooth

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's true most people don't know the sorta bad ass origin story of WD40.

Reactions: jhowell and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.