PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Hi All,
Been looking at the Peterson Burren Line. A awesome virgin briar but with a brown wood grain acrylic stem. An awesome pairing out of the box but I think I might not like it so much after the bowl browns. Brown bowl Brown stem seems to much. But the virgin white(Ish) to that stem absolutely awesome.
Can waxing a raw briar or other method keep it from browning.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I smoke a lot of unfinished pipes, and over the years I've come to believe that the outside darkens from handling, and not from smoke. The oils in your hands (whether intentionally or unintentionally) applied to the outer surface of the pipe are the main cause of coloring.
You might want to buy something cheaper, like a couple of Morgan Bones pipes to experiment with retarding coloration. I expect waxing would do a decent job of keeping skin oils away from the surface of the briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
johnnyiii, forgive me, but I thought coloration was the object with unfinished pipes. I have two Savs that I bought unfinished years ago that have deepened to a walnut color and have developed a smooth shine that is better than an intended smooth finish. If I were after a light colored pipe, I'd seek out something with light stain or other coloring intended to remain that color. But yours is an interesting experiment, and I'd be interested to hear how it develops.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's one example of that line.
I'd let it color naturally, then put a black stem on her.
pptbur-pf-1007.png

If you really want to keep it pristine, keep it out of the light, and wear a glove while handling or smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I have two completely darkened Savinelli pipes, and several other unfinished Savs and an unfinished Peterson, all in the process of darkening, it occurs to me that handling the pipe may not be the whole story on darkening, for the reason that the older pipes are darkened evenly all over. It's not just the bowl and shank near the bowl that turn. The entire briar eventually turns with even coloration, so there may be heat, aging of the briar, some of the tobacco oils, and other influences. I'm not insisting on this because I simply don't know, but if it is hand oils, it should not be so evenly distributed, I wouldn't think. Just something to observe and consider.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I've cleaned estate corallos back to an even light tone, but definitely not anywhere near as pale as it must have originally been or your potential burren. The majority of the coloration is definitely handling, but MSO and Warren are both right--you can clean the darkening but the wood does take on a warmer, deeper hue.
As someone who is interested in virgin briar, I feel like I see plenty of lightly stained pipes that nearly look virgin and I bet they keep the lighter color better.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Bought a natural/unfinished a while back & really like it since it has darkened.

No white cotton gloves here.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I light coating of spray shellac probably would preserve the natural color. I do this on some stained cob mods. However, I would let it darken myself...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Coloring is the best part. I agree some of the coloring comes from your hands but the smoke darkens it a lot too. Unless you were to shellac it would you be able to delay darkening it but it even then it will still darken over time. The only way it’s not going to darken (again, half the fun, at least for me) is if you don’t smoke it and as Warren pointed out it will still inevitably darken due to aging.

Jan 8, 2013
Coloring an unfinished pipe is what gives it it's appeal. I have a few Savinelli Unfinished, A Savinelli Noce (also an unfinished pipe), a Nording Signature, and a couple Stanwell Authentics. They look lovely as the begin to darken over time.

Reactions: brooklynpipeclub

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Hi All,
As I have pondered it I would conclude with everyone. I ruled out wax as I thought more. The only way to keep it as is would be not to smoke it. That would just be :crazy:
I liked the new stem comment... thought of that to but thought a creamy stem. I have several with a black stem already.
And to all I would normally let it darken as well.
Thanks for the two cents from all

Status
Not open for further replies.