PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Hi guys
So in my last Estervals order I included a nice new Kyloe Natural 66s pipe (9mm filter). Now the mortise is so tight that I can hardly insert the stem at all, and really fear I will crack the shank (I have some pipes with a tight fit, but nothing like that). I put it in with some significant force once (see photo), but do not want to repeat in order not to crack the shank. I searched on the forum, and tried the graphite from a pencil method, which does not improve the situation at all. Any additional advice or pointers? Any way to slightly enlarge the mortise with sandpaper (and if yes how exactly to go about this)?
cheers!

20200422_1401029.jpg20200422_195155.jpg

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
We will fix it, wait a minute for advice to come, Btw, very nice looking pipe
sometimes beeswax in the mortise will help and sometimes placing a pipe in a freezer for 15 might be sufficient
I guess the freezer method does not really help since I smoke with filter and need to remove the stem every time I smoke... Beeswax hey.. might give that a try if I find some..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You are turning the stem as you try to insert, yes?
Sounds like you haven't smoked it much. I'd keep at it, as over time the tenon in place may push the mortise hole enough to loosen the fit.
If you can smoke without a filter or several times on one filter, I'd do that. Smoking and time might do the trick. Don't mess with the mortise. If you have to remove material, the tenon is the way to go.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
This is most easiest fix. If the fit is still too tight with graphite on it, than i would suggest to take a 2000grit sandpaper to the tenon.
Yes, tried to put some graphite on the whole tenon by "writing" on it.. did this a couple of times to no effect. I can slowly twist it all in, but it is so tight that I have done this only once and it really feels like the wood is about to crack. I want to avoid having to deal with sandpaper, since it would mean a trip to the local hardware store. Also: I guess you refer to some US standard (CAMI) for the 2000 grit. I found a table to compare with our European standard (FEPA), but on this one 1000 grit seems to be the limit for the US standard. I guess it is very fine grit stuff right? Table comparing sandpaper grit standard in Europe and USA - http://www.mibnet.se/home-improvement/sandpaper-grit-size-comparison-between-european-and-us-standards.html

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
You are turning the stem as you try to insert, yes?
Sounds like you haven't smoked it much. I'd keep at it, as over time the tenon in place may push the mortise hole enough to loosen the fit.
If you can smoke without a filter or several times on one filter, I'd do that. Smoking and time might do the trick. Don't mess with the mortise. If you have to remove material, the tenon is the way to go.
Thanks for the advise: yes I am turning the stem as I try to insert like I always do. Perhaps I will try your advise: force it in one more time and then smoke it a couple of times without filter (the pipe is new).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A change in ambient humidity can also be a factor. I bought a pipe in New Mexico (high desert), stem was loose as a cheap hooker. A few dozen smokes near the ocean and she tightened up just right.

Please say hello for me to the Girl/Lady of the Harbor!

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Yes, tried to put some graphite on the whole tenon by "writing" on it.. did this a couple of times to no effect. I can slowly twist it all in, but it is so tight that I have done this only once and it really feels like the wood is about to crack. I want to avoid having to deal with sandpaper, since it would mean a trip to the local hardware store. Also: I guess you refer to some US standard (CAMI) for the 2000 grit. I found a table to compare with our European standard (FEPA), but on this one 1000 grit seems to be the limit for the US standard. I guess it is very fine grit stuff right? Table comparing sandpaper grit standard in Europe and USA - http://www.mibnet.se/home-improvement/sandpaper-grit-size-comparison-between-european-and-us-standards.html
Oh, I never knew that the US had another standard for sandpaper. According to the table it would be 1000 in US standards. I always use the highest grit when working on the stem, as to avoid removing to much material.

Also do wet sanding if you are gonna sand it down.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, does this heating up the tenon using a heat gun work on acrylic or is this method only good for vulcanite tenons,?

If a material's shape can be modified with heat and it remains that way after it cools, the method will work. Meaning a yes for acrylic---at least the formulations I've encountered, anyway. Bone, horn, or other exotics, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.