PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Total newb question, but I hope y’all don’t haze me for it. As I begin my journey into pipe restoration I find myself stumped right out of the gate. I had sellers on starting with the stems in an oxy bath, old toothbrush scrub, and magic eraser. BUT I think I saw something about this could damage acrylic or plastics. Is that true? How can you identify the stem material?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
vulcanite will have brown tint to it..
if you look at the tenon/inside the stem you can often see rougher brownish areas.

also if you click your teeth (or something similar in hardness) on an acrylic stem it will make a "click" whereas vulcanite will be muted since it's rubber.

Reactions: diamondback

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Also so far any acrylic stems I had, were slightly translucent, when I had hold them against strong light sources. This is not the case with ebonite.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Acrylic and Vulcanite/Ebonite are fairly easy to discern after a while. Some of the other materials like amber, horn, and especially the various plastics used on many MM cobs and Dr. Grabow other than the Royalton series with acrylic, are less common and therefore require research. Some of the plastics I still haven't figured out. I gravitate toward Vulcanite and acrylic just because I know what they are and how they will "behave."

Reactions: diamondback

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
FWIW I have found that heating a vulcanite stem with hot air (heat gun or blow dryer) gives off a distinctive odor. You don't have to heat it to the point it gets soft, just a little will do it and then you know.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just rub briefly wth your finger. If you get the rubbery smell it's vulcanite. Speaking of heat, don't leave that pipe with vulcanite stem in the car or elsewhere where it will be under direct sunlight: discolouration will occur, and I wouldn't find it impossible for the sun to heat it to the point where the stem twists.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The teeth don't lie, use them. There is a big difference between different types of vulcanite/ebonite. The high quality German stuff rarely oxidizes if kept out of direct sunlight and you use stem oil. The older sulfur laden stuff can stink and it will oxidize very quickly.
Out of the 85 or so pipes in my collection only 5 pipes are not vulcanite. I really enjoy the much softer feel as I clench almost all the time.

Reactions: dmcmtk
Status
Not open for further replies.