PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I learned this easy fix for stem repairs from Joeman, a master restorer on DGCF. I thought I'd share the wealth. This stuff works great. You'll be amazed how tough and how well this blends with vulcanite. I took a few pictures of a tooth hole repair from my latest refurb.
items you will need
Activated charcoal

Cyanoacrylate glue (medium viscosity)

Needle file, sand paper

Pipe cleaner

Clear tape

thin piece of cardboard
X5DesRRl.jpg

First you will need to clean and score the area around the hole.
Use a pipe cleaner with the cardboard wrapped in clear tape and insert in the stem to keep the air way clear. The glue will not stick to the clear tape and is easily removed after the glue has set.
VaXT31El.jpg

Mix up small amount of glue and charcoal to the thickness of honey and apply to the area. I use a q-tip with the cotton removed and the tube cut in half to make a little scoop/spoon for an applicator. Accelerator is optional. It will set up on its own but I use the accelerator to speed up the process.
CsES4rkl.jpg

After it has setup, use a needle file to remove excess and smooth out.
hOjWszBl.jpg

Final step: Use sandpaper or micro mesh and buff to shine.
6heW6SMl.jpg

This stuff blends in very well and is only noticeable under close inspection.
oRWRg0Ml.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AJL67

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Dave, awesome write up and very informative! Thanks for sharing the "home remedy" ingredients. I currently use StewMac tinted CA with a fret dam. When I run out I will have to try your method.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I bought everything on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Activated-Charcoal-Powder-1-oz-Indigestion-Heartburn-Relief-Weight-Loss-/141348205942?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e9027576
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REGULAR-HYPERBOND-CA-SUPER-GLUE-2-oz-bottle-MEDIUM-Cyanoacrylate-Pin-Cap-/261205504013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd10fb00d

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Dave, Thanks for the very helpful instructions and links to the necessary supplies. I have a couple of stems in need of exactly this repair.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for sharing Dave, an excellent repair work with the photos and the secret technique shared!

:puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks guys. This isn't an ancient Chinese secret. I've learned everything I know from others on the forums. I've asked ejames and joeman so many restoration questions they should charge consultant fees. I was hesitant to give this stem repair a try. It seemed like it would be difficult to get good results but I pretty much nailed it the first time I tried. The only problem I had at first was that I didn't mix it well enough and there were some air bubbles in it when I sanded it down. I just made another batch and covered it again, and it looked great. I've seen joeman rebuild almost the entire bit and a huge missing portion of the end with this stuff. Don't be afraid to dig in and try it.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Nice work. In general, I prefer to replace a damaged stem with a new one, as I a have tools for making it precisely, but I can understand that some stems are stamped/marked with the brand logo and that the owner of the pipe would like to keep the original stem. In this case, yes, this process is a good thing. :D

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Dave... man thanks so much for this post... I currently have a Stanwell acorn that has a tooth hold in it, up till now Ive just used a rubber stem bit to cover the hole... but really I'm not the biggest fan of those things.
I will have to try this out in the next week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.