PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Title reworded a touch.-jpm

Despite the fact I'm trying to keep this very Dunhill clean , smoking it only indoors, keeping the flame 1 inch away from the rim it still seems to be very prone to darkening,same way as my other natural /light stain finished sandblast pipes,I already have cleaned out that sooth once using the Murpy's soap and teeth brush, but are there any another alternative and effective methods which I may have not looked yet into?
CIMG1529.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Despite the fact I'm trying to keep this very Dunhill clean , smoking it only indoors, keeping the flame 1 inch away from the rim it still seems to be very prone to darkening,same way as my other natural /light stain finished sandblast pipes,I already have cleaned out that sooth once using the Murpy's soap and teeth brush, but are there any another alternative and effective methods which I may have not looked yet into?
View attachment 136776
In my experience only, its hard to avoid be because the heat from lighting and the smoke drifting up darkens the rim. I use the wet paper towel method after to wipe off after each bowl and rewax lightly once a week or so. Eventually (years later) you can sand and refinish as pipe restorers do which makes it newish again. Its a natural process so don't let the stress prevent you from enjoying the pipe.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Spit and a handi wipe have always worked for me. I just wet my finger, run it around the top of the rim then wipe it off. Depending on how much buildup there is it may take a couple of times and a little elbow grease. Then I'll polish with another handi wipe and some pipe polish.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have used saliva and a Q-tip on smooth rims, and saliva and a soft toothbrush on rough rims, all with great success. wiping it off with a soft cloth afterwards. I haven’t tried a Handi-Wipe, but I imagine that it would work. The key, it seems, is saliva, for the reason(s) mentioned above

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Depends on what's causing the darkening. Spit will break down the residue that collects on the rim, as will cold coffee. But not all darkening is cause by residue, and it may simply be the effect of heat, which will darken the wood.
Thank you for the coffee tip ! I tried it this morning and wow ! Works like a charm. I can see the birdseye and grain again ... quick and efficient ... a bit of wax and it will be close to 'restored' ... Thats my new method ! Thanks again !

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian