PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

a3zname

Lurker
Nov 12, 2019
Israel
Hello everyone,

I assume like all things - so does briar has its quality spectrum.
When certain brand or artisan indicates the use of quality briar, what is it exactly?
What qualifies a piece of briar to be categorized as of high quality and if one can detect such piece without getting the information about it?

Well, of course a company is going to say that their briar is quality, all briar is quality... good, bad... well, that depends on whether you are talking contrast in grain, lack of fills, aroma, or some other arcane smokability factor.

In my jewelry designs, I only use quality silver and gold, none of that non-quality stuff. puffy
McDonalds uses quality beef. Folgers uses quality coffee beans. It doesn't really say anything at all.

Now, if they said that their briar was the "best" quality, that might open them up to lawsuits from other pipemakers.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Aside from aesthetics of the grain and lack of holes, I haven’t found a good guide to briar quality. I have read the odd anecdote from a pipe maker that some load or other of briar tasted horrible when smoked and so they threw it out, but luckily haven’t encountered that in any of my finished pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you're asking about the structural aspect of the wood as opposed to aesthetics, the answer is, a whole lot of experience looking at, and working with, briarwood. In a very general way where the wood is taken from the burl, estimated age of the burl, processing of the burl are "indicators" of "quality". Mostly, claims are salewsmanship, which come with the territory, whether it's the "magic" of 100 year old briar, or some copy written on a tin of tobacco about "the arcane ancient myserious secrets" used in the making of the blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think most pipe buyers have to believe their eyes and also depend on well known brands. I really appreciate briar that results in lighter weight easier on jaw and teeth.

Reactions: Mis Pipas
I have had a pipe that tasted green, like it hadn't had the oils aged out of it. It is a faint hint of the aroma that you'd smell freshly after a fruit tree was cut.

Then, there is weight... it's ironic that my pipes that were purchased for the beauty of the grain, seem heavier to me, than my pipes that seem to have insignificant grain.

As for pits and such, I think that is the gamble pipemakers take.

Reactions: whsergent and BROBS

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Seems like some pipes are more porous than others and, thus, smoke cooler. Seems like a pretty pipe gets taken home, but a light-weight pipe gets smoked a lot.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Ive had a few pipes that were not smoked or didn’t have that crap put in the bowl to make it look nice and when smoked the sweeter the smoke, not green or bitter I knew that pipe would make a good smoker.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As others have pointed out, the word quality is just marketing. In my mind when I think of "quality" briar I think of something with nice grain that smokes well. That's about it. I wouldn't trust any claims of "quality" on any product. I mean the Budweiser label says something to the effect of "We know of no other beer that takes so long or costs so much to produce."

The fact is 99% of beers in the country take longer and cost more to make and they absolutely know it. Or Miller Lite's wonderful "Triple Hops Brewed." Every beer out there adds hops at different points during the boil. It is effectively like saying "This beer is made just like every other beer!"

You can pretty much say whatever you want these days as long as your claim can't be easily, affordably, and legally disproved. And how the hell do you disprove a claim of "quality"?

Hell if you hold a certain political office you can apparently say whatever the hell you want even if it CAN be disproved with a simple 30 seconds of research!

Find out more tonight on TV's #1 new show (every show on every network).

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I think that most of the more respected producers make sure that the technical aspects of a pipe are correct. The drilling is right, the stem is done well, etc. I feel they also try and use the drier, higher quality wood but...until you smoke it, you can't be sure. I have experienced a top quality (expensive/rare) pipe that tasted like crap no matter what I smoked in it. (It had been cleaned/restored professionally) it was a bad pipe. I obtained the same pipe style/year/brand etc. and it was a dream. I could not look and see any difference in the two pipes but they were nite and day different when it came to smoking.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Part of it might be marketing, but let us stay away from the error that 'all things are equal and it's only hype that makes them better or worse'. That is simply not true.

One test of quality is to weigh the pipe in your hand and assess weight in relation to size. Less density is a mark of better briar (more porous, more absorbent, smokes better).

As has been mentioned, even from the same root you'll have different grades. The portions closer to the surface are better than the ones situated lower, which is why you'll see carvers leaving the nodules untouched and integrating them into their shapes as a ready sign of top quality:

002-750-0035_4.5587.jpg

Take a look at the cost of the uncarved burls, and that'll give you an idea that not all are equal, and that a higher quality piece has indeed a higher price:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hello everyone,

I assume like all things - so does briar has its quality spectrum.
When certain brand or artisan indicates the use of quality briar, what is it exactly?
What qualifies a piece of briar to be categorized as of high quality and if one can detect such piece without getting the information about it?
you have to feel the inner bowl with your glans..
if you like it: good briar. Doesn't feel right: bad briar.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Part of it might be marketing, but let us stay away from the error that 'all things are equal and it's only hype that makes them better or worse'. That is simply not true.

One test of quality is to weigh the pipe in your hand and assess weight in relation to size. Less density is a mark of better briar (more porous, more absorbent, smokes better).

As has been mentioned, even from the same root you'll have different grades. The portions closer to the surface are better than the ones situated lower, which is why you'll see carvers leaving the nodules untouched and integrating them into their shapes as a ready sign of top quality:

002-750-0035_4.5587.jpg

Take a look at the cost of the uncarved burls, and that'll give you an idea that not all are equal, and that a higher quality piece has indeed a higher price:

Bruce Weaver swore by Mimmo. He only used their top grade blocks and I've found them to be nothing but flawless. That being said, the only bad pipes I've smoked have been from poor drilling.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario

002-750-0035_4.5587.jpg

Jesus that pipe is hideous. I couldn't have that hanging out of my mouth if you paid me ??

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I have had a pipe that tasted green, like it hadn't had the oils aged out of it. It is a faint hint of the aroma that you'd smell freshly after a fruit tree was cut.

Then, there is weight... it's ironic that my pipes that were purchased for the beauty of the grain, seem heavier to me, than my pipes that seem to have insignificant grain.

As for pits and such, I think that is the gamble pipemakers take.
I have had new pipes that tasted off too, a little raw that needed some extra break in time. I think a lot depends on ageing and drying.

I have a couple of french pipes that have "ALGERIAN BRIAR" stamped on them and i can swear i can tell the difference in weight and maybe a difference in the way they smoke as well.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I think like many things, one may need to be expert. I leave it to the carvers who work with the wood and put their names on the pipes. Good artisan carvers are most likely to try to use the best wood for their work. I've never gone wrong trusting the carvers I have purchased from. Aside from presumably obvious things like cracks and worm holes (...maybe) I would not know a bad lump of briar from a good one. It follows that one might give at least some additional attention to the well regarded carvers who have been around for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.