How To Clean Up and Polish a Vintage Meerschaum?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've read bits and pieces, but what are the definitive steps of cleaning, polishing / waxing of an old meer?

I have my eye on a century old meer that needs some love. Can i just use mild soap on the outside? What about beeswax as a polish? The stem is amber, which I am guessing poses other restoration questions.

I've seen some beautiful meers on here, what are some tricks?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK. What do you want to know? Do you have a picture? Is it a carved head or a regular pipe.? Are you absolutely sure you are ready for the wild ride of owning a 100 year old orphan?

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I recently acquired my grandfathers meer. Not as old but in need of a good clean.

Interested to hear some tips/advice as well. Having searched through past threads there’s a glut of conflicting advice (standard). ?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I did nothing to mine except scrape out the chamber and unblock the draft hole through the bone tenon. I was too a chicken shit to take the restoration further and kinda liked the chumbawamba look and attitude following 118 years of abuse and/or neglect

Reactions: TxPapaPuff

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How do you clean the grime off the outside?
A wet microfiber cloth.

What is the best way to wax the outside?
Melt a pound of beeswax in a double boiler. Run a churchwarden length pipe cleaner into the chamber of the pipe and ball the end of the cleaner in the chamber so it cannot be pulled from the pipe. The long end coming out of the stem will be used to hang it to cool after waxing. Plug the pipe's chamber with a cork and heat the stummel with a hairdryer until evenly warm to the touch. Dip the stummel up to the end of the shank for a few seconds then remove and allow the excess wax to drip back into the boiler. Hang the pipe until fully cooled and shine it up by gently buffing with a t-shirt.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A wet microfiber cloth.

Melt a pound of beeswax in a double boiler. Run a churchwarden length pipe cleaner into the chamber of the pipe and ball the end of the cleaner in the chamber so it cannot be pulled from the pipe. The long end coming out of the stem will be used to hang it to cool after waxing. Plug the pipe's chamber with a cork and heat the stummel with a hairdryer until evenly warm to the touch. Dip the stummel up to the end of the shank for a few seconds then remove and allow the excess wax to drip back into the boiler. Hang the pipe until fully cooled and shine it up by gently buffing with a t-shirt.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.