PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I took up Pipe smoking a few weeks ago [and love it] and come to find out my brother-in-law did also when he was 16 for a week and still had the pipe.He gave it to me and after some research I found that it's a Yello-Bole brylon.It has very little cake but does have alot of tan...gunk?/oxidation?..throughout the entire pipe.Does anyone know the best/cheapest way to clean it?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
well i never had a brylon but i guess id take same route as a briar. Bleach soak on the stem then buffing and brandy swabbing inside the stem, then cotton ball alchol soak on the bowl. Like i said tho, im not up on the brylon.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
OK, here's what you need...

cotton balls

1 pint of 151 rum

rock salt

rocks

burlap bag
Drink the rum, put everything else, including the pipe, into the burlap bag. Tie up the bag. Throw it into the nearest large body of water. ;-)
Sorry, but bryon pipes are a CURSE on our hobby.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Now, now, some of us started with brylon because we didn't know any better. I had a couple long ago that I really liked, until I started getting better pipes and they were given to my green leaf friends. As far as the question goes, the pipe could probably be cleaned as nsfisher describes, but I would be concerned if any of the yellobole coating actually remained, because it might absorb the oxyclean. I'd go with Everclear and salt overnight in the bowl, and then scrub the heck out of it with bristle cleaners, Everclear, and cotton balls. That being said, a new Dr. Grabow Royalton is 30 bucks on Amazon, and Pipes and Cigars.com has many good quality low priced pipes. :puffy:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Dishwasher! Wouldn't think brylon,since it is hard as a rock would need the salt/alcohol treatment.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I've the one brylon, a Yello-Bole "Spartan".

I've always treated it like a briar. Use either Everclear or Iso to clean the airways.
Honestly don't understand why brylon is looked down on so adamantly.

Yes, for it's size it's heavier than a comparable pipe of briar would be.

Yes, it is much more prone to getting too hot during a smoke.
But for $10, $5 shipping, off the 'Bay, it smokes Oriental forward blends perfectly. Just another pipe.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, my one brylon pipe smokes fine. It is a little heavier than a comparable briar, but it's not giving me TMJ or anything. The main downside is that the bowl does get hot. However, I also don't need to worry when the bowl gets hot that I'm going to burn it out like a briar pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
But for $10, $5 shipping

hmmm may be worth lookin into, they r dirt cheap for sure
For that price, buy a cob!
Carefully open the wood stove and chuck it in. Close the door quickly so it can't escape.
+1
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Buy the best pipes you can afford. Better to have 1 good estate (Stanwell or whoever) then 10 pieces of junk.

Nothing wrong with buying bad pipes when you don't know any better, but learning to smoke better pipes, just like learning to smoke better quality tobacco, is part of the pleasure of this hobby. I've got a couple I got from a pal that aren't bad,but I want to upgrade them if I can stop buying tobacco. :D

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Hmm, I guess all of my other pipes must smoke terrible then and I don't know the difference, quite possible, because the brylon smokes just fine as far as I can tell. It does get hot, I will give you that, but, beyond that, it's a fairly indestructible little pipe. I'm not saying it's as beautiful as a nice briar, but it certainly seems to have a place in the rotation.
:puffy:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Save yer breath on this one brewshooter.

How's that go, there is no mind so certain as the one that's closed, sumpin' to that effect. (-;
As I mentioned earlier I have one also.

The qualities of heat and weight are such I won't buy another one but I will continue to smoke the one I have because as you say re yours, mine smokes fine and it may well be indestructible!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
The qualities of heat and weight are such I won't buy another one but I will continue to smoke the one I have because as you say re yours, mine smokes fine and it may well be indestructible!
I take comfort in the fact that, when the apocalypse finally does come and we're all driving around like characters from Mad Max, I will have one pipe that can take the abuse! I do still need to obtain the requisite sawn off shotgun and dog to complete my wasteland look.

Status
Not open for further replies.