PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Have been trying to buy a pipe through Kirsten's website for the last few days but my inquiries remain unanswered. The timezone I'm in right now makes calling really difficult. Anyone have a lead on where/how to score a new Kirsten?

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Its really common to find new kirstens on ebay. here you go.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Tobacciana/593/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=kirsten

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks. The new pipes there are currently 285% of retail. I suppose that may be a sign.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Kirsten's only recently resumed production, so expect those eBay prices to drop...a lot. They had a great selection at the Chicago show, and I regret not buying one at the time.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
+1 on woodsroad comment, they are fantastic pipes.
Call them directly at 206-264-2966.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have 8 Kirstens. ... they look funky, but they are true burners. Just fantastic. I also have 6 extra bowls including two meerschaums.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I was at their store last week (Downtown Seattle). They had them and a few bowls too. I think I saw Meerschaum bowls as well for, maybe $199. I'd say call 'em...
I've never had one. But for what it's worth, the guys at the store are nice.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
For those who have smoked both Kirstens and Falcons, in what way are the Kirstens worth 3x more?
I have three Falcons and two Kirstens. I do prefer the Kirstens in the way they feel to smoke. It's really hard to quantify but it seems to be a more substantial pipe. Purely a personal preference, but it's sort of like the difference between driving a Volkswagen Beetle and a Mercedes Benz. Is it worth the price? Maybe.... for some.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
A question for @ashdigger and @tuold:
Any feedback on the Falcons? I keep looking at them and the price is so tempting. Obviously you like the Kirstens better, but what are your thoughts on the quality of the Falcons and how they smoke?
Thanks!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Falcons are light, easy clenchers. A short piece of pipecleaner formed into an open ring serves as a moisture absorbent medium in the reservoir. They stay dry throughout the entire smoke, and are a 5-second cleanup afterward, involcing unscrewing the bowl and wiping with a folded pipecleaner, changing out the pipecleaner ring.
Kirstens are bulkier and heavier. They have a spit valve like a brass instrument. Apparently they can be emptied mid-smoke without unscrewing the bowl, but I've never needed to empty a Falcon mid-smoke.
I still don't get what about their design and construction justifies 3x the cost of a Falcon. Neither brand is going to win any beauty contests.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Gsmunoz, Falcons smoke just fine. If I only had one, based on cost....Falcon wins. But I like size and bulk of the Kirsten.
I'll post a pic of my Falcon with a chimney bowl. It looks goofy but smokes fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.