PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

de513

Lurker
Feb 15, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

My apartment does not allow smoking inside. But, between all of us here, this can only be enforced if the smoke is strong enough to spread to neighbors or linger for a while in the unit. Luckily I have a patio, but it would be great if I can enjoy a bowl at my desk during work. On a range from vapes to cigars, how thick/lingering is pipe smoke?

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My apartment does not allow smoking inside. But, between all of us here, this can only be enforced if the smoke is strong enough to spread to neighbors or linger for a while in the unit. Luckily I have a patio, but it would be great if I can enjoy a bowl at my desk during work. On a range from vapes to cigars, how thick/lingering is pipe smoke?
not really a good idea. The smoke gets into things. Which can effect people who move in after you who are allergic to tobacco smoke (yes a real thing). And I'd say it's between cigs and cigars to even stronger then cigars depending on blend. And yeah good chance your neighbors will smell it.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
When it’s cold outside I enjoy a pipe in our breakfast nook with the slider cracked and the smoke dissipates quickly with no lingering smells after about an hour. This is in a large area w/faulted ceilings. Not sure of the size of your apartment, but it will linger if not vented somewhere. The only way to gauge is to try it and see, but I suspect that you’ll be heading to the patio next time ? ?

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Pipe smoke is no different than other tobacco smoke. Sticky tar builds up over time. The better the circulation the longer it takes to build up. Just smoke some pleasant smelling tobacco and see what happens. Picky neighbors would complain and only office personal would inquire/notify. Have a candle or incense sticks or buy a good tobacco smoke air purifier.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Back in my "first" job days, I smoked indoor. After moving out, I was penalized for damages on the walls, on the floors, and ceilings, but was not penalized for smoke. Used to throw parties with at least 3 paddy wagons by end of it. Probably the beer stench outweighed the smoke smell.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think the question you're really asking is whether you'll get caught or not. I would say if you're there long enough and you do it often enough, other people will smell it. To non smokers, it will be evident. Very evident.

Now if you smoke near the patio door, you crack it a bit, you'll have a positive pressure. Heat moves to cold. Perhaps add a small fan and have it blow towards the patio door. Don't smoke often and spray a healthy dose of Ozium after you smoke and continue to let the patio door open for a bit, you might get by. Don't do it in the winter, the opposite will happen. The outside air will be warmer and come in. Do not smoke Latakia based blends.

This sort of thing might also work in a hotel room. I'm not sure.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Stick to aromatics and tell them it's incense.

I really don't understand why I have to be throat punched by eye watering floral perfumes, metrosexual candles, patchouli vaporizers, essential oil burners, microwaved curry, hippy au naturale BO, and "stealth" sativa smokers... but a light vanilla pipe is exclusionarily offensive. Frankly it's absurd.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Stick to aromatics and tell them it's incense.

I really don't understand why I have to be throat punched by eye watering floral perfumes, metrosexual candles, patchouli vaporizers, essential oil burners, microwaved curry, hippy au naturale BO, and "stealth" sativa smokers... but a light vanilla pipe is exclusionarily offensive. Frankly it's absurd.
. That’s a good post!!! Your exactly right

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
If your landlords are sticklers & you have neighbors that are smoke prudes then I’d advise against it. No matter what you do, the smoke will eventually flow from your APT to the halls. It’s funny ? that you’d probably have neighbors that’d complain less if you smoked reefer instead of ?...amazing to me. If your smoking passion is overwhelming and smoking comfortably indoors matters that much...get a place that allows smoking. ☕

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
Whether or not to smoke in your apartment is entirely up to you, of course. The worst that can happen is that someone snitches and you have to stop (maybe security deposit is at risk).

I smoked many hundreds of bowls in my old apartments and didn’t lose my deposit, nor did anyone notice. Same for every rental car I’ve ever had, and a lease that I just turned back in after years of daily smoking.

I do have a system, though:

1. Don’t go nuts. A bowl or two a week is probably safe, the more you smoke, the better the chances of it being a problem.

2. No cigarettes, no cigars, no Latakia, no DFKY. Straight Virginia and lighter VA/Pers only.

3. Lampe Berger. Seriously. During, but especially after a smoke.

I would also argue that risking the security deposit might be worth it. Depending on how much the deposit is, and how long you plan to live there, think of it as a daily smoking tax of anywhere from $.45-$1.40/day ?

JB00

Lurker
Feb 15, 2021
I live in a very old apartment building that has rock hard plaster walls. The area I’m in is largely comprised of art school students, I believe an upstairs neighbor smokes non tobacco products ( hint hint) and when they do, I can smell it in some areas of my apartment extremely well. Usually after 30 or so minutes the smell in my unit disappears. I personally can’t stand the smell, so maybe that’s why I find it so noticeable. I wouldn’t do, but that’s just my 2 cents.