PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldman

Lurker
Mar 23, 2013
43...I've put my time in & battled my battles. Figured it's time to get crazy...lol.

nzpiper

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2011
I was 18. I got some tobacco from my grandad, some Rum & Maple mixed with Van Eerkoms' "FOX". I bought a cheap pipe from a general dealer and the rest, well that's history.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Seventeen. We used to smoke cigars once in a while. I was about 19 when I started smoking a pipe.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I started with cigarettes at 15 and smoked my first pipe and cigars that same year. I've been off the cigarettes close to twenty years and I have no regrets about quitting. One of the best things I ever did for myself.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I started at 15 with cigarettes and some machine made cigars, swishers and white owls, then moved to cigars by 17 and by 18 I started smoking a pipe. Now I've almost go two years under my belt with a pipe.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
First cigar at highschool graduation (18), picked up the pipe continued smoking cigars when I got to school. I had a very helpful roommate.

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
Cigarettes between 18 and 19 gave em up for a while and then picked them up about a year ago. I've been on the pipe for a few months now and haven't had a cigarette since and I plan on keeping it that way. I'm 24 now, by the way.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My first experience with tobacco was when I was 8 years old! My uncle gave me some Skoal wintergreen snuff and I puked for an hour! He also gave my cousin some the same day, he was 6! When I was about 10 he would bring me and my cousin cans of Skoal Bandits every now and then. I've been using some kind of tobacco ever since. I'm now 30.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Tried my brothers pipe after he passed, I was 40, and I didn't stay with it. Picked it up again at 63. I am in less of a hurry and more mellow now, so it is something I enjoy.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Bought my first pipe in college, the weekend I turned 18. It was a Grabow pipe and Captain Black, both bought at a pharmacy. Some cigars mixed in, but the pipe was always cheaper!

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
about a decade ago, at 15. skoal vanilla (blech!). I've been on and off chewing tobacco since then. Been on for awhile now.
1st pipe at 20. didn't really know what I was doing until just over a year ago. Thankfully, this website has really opened my eyes. No more tongue bite, barely any re-lights, no more overly moist tobacco, started appreciating and enjoying non-aromatics, learned different ways to prepare flakes, trying match lights, tamping properly, packing properly. The list goes on and on.
And it's all thanks to you, my brothers of the briar (and cob, and clay)! Thank you so much for all your help, insight, and wisdom.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Earliest experience, when we were six, a friend and I used to take packs of Luckies and Camels

he pilfered from his chain smoking dad (who later quit) in his little Radio Flyer wagon down to

the "prairie," an empty lot, where we would watch the construction of a new house from under

a bush. This resulted in me going home and turning a pale shade of green and lying down on

the couch. A few cigs in my teens, with a cousin. A cigar now and then when I went to

journalism school, when they had ashtrays in the student union. A few cigars when I was in the

Navy, and first pipe smoking after I got married in the mid-1970s. So I started first at about 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.