PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It's a crap shoot. I have had some great success with cartons of 1970s War Horse Plug that was wrapped in silver foil. In fact Ashdigger managed to revive some sufficiently to run a group poisoning
tasting on here a few summers ago. In fact I have had more success with plugs and flakes than with sealed tins but then that's my luck. If it is not so dry that it turns to dust or is covered in mold then you might get a rather interesting smoke out of the flakes. Out of curiosity what is the name of the tobacco?

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
It's a crap shoot. I have had some great success with cartons of 1970s War Horse Plug that was wrapped in silver foil. In fact Ashdigger managed to revive some sufficiently to run a group poisoning
tasting on here a few summers ago. In fact I have had more success with plugs and flakes than with sealed tins but then that's my luck. If it is not so dry that it turns to dust or is covered in mold then you might get a rather interesting smoke out of the flakes. Out of curiosity what is the name of the tobacco?
A real classic, Players Navy Cut from just after the war, my neighbours father smoked a pipe and this was his. He very kindly gave me his dads pipe tools the other day so I’m insisting on giving him something for the tobacco.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Waxed paper in silver foil. If it has been stored out of the way of strong smells it should be fine. Put it in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth and carefully monitor. Actually ask Ashdigger how he revived those old War Horse Plugs and then follow the same methodology. Good luck and please do post some pictures as these moments don't come around very often.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Will do, thanks for the advice. It might be a couple of weeks, due to the current isolation my neighbour is elderly and staying with relatives but I’ll be happy to keep everyone informed with plenty of pictures. Hopefully 70 years is long enough to take away the bite I get from straight Va’s. ?

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I wish you could all have a bowl . I’ll do my best to document the whole thing and let you all know how it goes. I had intended to use a fine paint brush to gently coat each flake in rum before removing it and coating the next etc. and then sealing it up to hydrate, providing it maintains its integrity.

Danilo

Lurker
Mar 2, 2021
Hey all, sorry to bring this back. Birddog66, How did it go?
If i may use your post, I´m into a similar situation. Dunhill from 90´s (per tin design - please correct me if I´m wrong), also no ideia on when it was open. Price, auction, but I think this will go around $25-30.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Dunhill - Standard.jpg
    Dunhill - Standard.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’m
Hey all, sorry to bring this back. Birddog66, How did it go?
If i may use your post, I´m into a similar situation. Dunhill from 90´s (per tin design - please correct me if I´m wrong), also no ideia on when it was open. Price, auction, but I think this will go around $25-30.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Unfortunately my neighbour is still AWOL, I think he’s staying with family during the Covid lockdown. I’ve seen some of them moving bits and pieces out of his apartment so I’m not sure if he’s coming back or not. I’d write to the seller and ask when it was opened, they might have just cracked it to post a pic but I’d defer its smokeability to a more experienced member that myself. If it doesn’t sell make them an offer, perhaps you can get it a price that won’t leave you downhearted if it’s a dud. If you do I’d love to hear about it please. Good luck

Danilo

Lurker
Mar 2, 2021
Thanks! The full set it this! I liked the old set, however, missing the Royal Yatch from same tin design. Dunhill "5 choice blends" in aluminium? Liek said before, for paraphernalia maybe a good thing.

Attachments

• Dunhill - 5 Blends.jpg
    Dunhill - 5 Blends.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
Through my pipe club ordering really old tins from Pipestud, being a member on here, and in my own cellar I have had the opportunity to try some really old tobaccos of various ages. I have not had anything over 20 years that really appealed to me, and I would say that about five years is all the benefits of age I care for.

Yeh yeh, I have seen guys at pipeshows, with eyes rolling back into their heads, buy when I have tried a bowl from their 50 year old tins, I was totally unimpressed. It's like when guys pack up a bowl of some crystalized aged tobaccos with geodes of crystals all over them, and they say, "Ohhhh, it's sooooo sweet." I'm convinced that it is merely bullshit mind over matter. They expect it to taste sweet (or really good) so it does.

For me, age drives off any hint of harshness in some Virginias, but at a certain point, you might get a couple of bowls from a freshly opened aged tin, but then the rest starts to oxidize and fall apart. It also will start to take on a laundry taste sometimes.
I've found that five years is enough, and I start selecting from that group of aged tins and jars. I have no asperations of aging anything beyond 20 years, or even living that much longer. Nor would I shell out big bucks to get anything beyond 20 years.

But, it is always interesting to try them. And, I appreciate having been able to try them for myself. But, when someone offers me 60 year old such and such now, I am not going to piss myself trying to get another try. I'll let you guys have at it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m
Unfortunately my neighbour is still AWOL, I think he’s staying with family during the Covid lockdown. I’ve seen some of them moving bits and pieces out of his apartment so I’m not sure if he’s coming back or not. I’d write to the seller and ask when it was opened, they might have just cracked it to post a pic but I’d defer its smokeability to a more experienced member that myself. If it doesn’t sell make them an offer, perhaps you can get it a price that won’t leave you downhearted if it’s a dud. If you do I’d love to hear about it please. Good luck
even if they did crack it open just for the pic it's pretty much crap by now. I've had a few tins that old out of luck and for some reason at that age they deteriorate really quickly. Or at least that's been my experience. Like I've cracked open an older tin and had it dry out way faster than a fresher tin would. And when I say dry out the key thing is how quickly it did. Could just be my experience.
Oh and all that happened before I encountered this forum or the concept of aging tobacco. Which means instead of feeling lucky I finding an old tin I thought what's the worst that could happen.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.